Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 17, 2007, 11:05 AM
Top Prospect

Weird though, the only thing that i can mess with in the bios reguarding power saving is not set on, and the only thing that was is somehting that looked like this

s1- system resumes more quickly from sleep
s3-system conserves more power when not in use

s3 was selected so i chose s1 and saved.
Also i checked threw all the power saving options and set anything that looked like a power saving thing to performance or off .

Still the multi moves up and down 6-8 ..

Hmmmmm

Update: I just played crysis with all settings on high AA 4x and the cpu oc really made it playable , probably doubled my frame rate. Although i was monitoring my temps at the same time playing in window mode the cpu never went over 37c but Holy jumping juniper! the gpu was running at a steady 69-70c !! bad?
Old December 17, 2007, 11:11 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Nope- that's all good- it's not all that bad to have the power saving thingy on- the performance is still there when tyou need it
Old December 17, 2007, 11:15 AM
Top Prospect

Cool, so all seems well then ?
Just one thing though...
My video card seems to run 15c hotter than reviewed at
"According to the nVIDIA driver temperature monitor, the MSI NX7900GTX-T2D512E idles at ~41C Celsius while load temps topped out at only 55C degrees. " MSI NX7900GTX-T2D512E Geforce 7900GTX 512MB Videocard Review - PCSTATS.com

I was at a load temp of 70c...
Old December 17, 2007, 11:21 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmitch1 View Post
Cool, so all seems well then ?
Just one thing though...
My video card seems to run 15c hotter than reviewed at
"According to the nVIDIA driver temperature monitor, the MSI NX7900GTX-T2D512E idles at ~41C Celsius while load temps topped out at only 55C degrees. " MSI NX7900GTX-T2D512E Geforce 7900GTX 512MB Videocard Review - PCSTATS.com

I was at a load temp of 70c...
Temps for any reviewed item are going to be strongly dependant on the airflow inside of the case and ambient temperatures. Temps will also be different between one chip and the next.

A load temp of 70c doesn't sound too bad. If you aren't getting artifacts and/or freezing/BSOD you should be fine.

Mem temp will indeed play a role in your ability to overclock. That's why premium ram ships with some form of heatsink.

I suspect your mem is probably what is holding back your current OC. It'd be nice to know if you can drop the base mem speed in bios which would probably give you more room to OC the processor.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old December 17, 2007, 11:30 AM
Top Prospect

Very interesting ! I wish i could get my hands on a cam ( one of the toys i havnt bought) so i could show you the minimal options that i have in the bios.

So perhaps buying some ram heat sinks /coolers would help. I dont have a temp reading for my memory though.

Also ive heard of a soft ware called "cpu4u " which i cannot seem to find any dl or any proof that it exsist . Apparently this software allows you to only tune specific parts without adding aditional oc's .. but again i cant find the damn progy ..

Im starting to think my bios is really holding me back here.

Also ! Do you think by having my cpu clocked higher that it effects the load given to the gpu ?

Thanks guys , shedding lots of light on my issue !

Dan.
Old December 17, 2007, 11:35 AM
Top Prospect

one more thing , ive seen a cooling system for my graphics card that is air/thermal.. you think that might be a good perchase.. Oh and since its a dell based video card do you think the system would still fit ?