Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 29, 2010, 04:29 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Default 930 OCing

So i've been playing around with my i7 today and I just did a simple OC to 3Ghz at stock voltages and the temperatures sky rocketed from a max of 68 at stock to a max of 82.
I thought that temperature had more to do with voltage am I wrong?

Settings:
Bclk 200
multiplier 15
Every thing else stock
Old September 29, 2010, 06:28 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Are you on stock cooling

BIOS fan speeds up to 75% at 25 c and 100 % at 50 c

loud fan niose price of overclocking
Old September 29, 2010, 06:37 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You should be nowhere near 80 at only 3Ghz... unless, of course, you're using stock cooling
Old September 29, 2010, 08:58 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Using a Noctua U12P SE2
Old September 29, 2010, 11:35 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

^^^^ Crank your QPI back down and increase your Multiplier.....yeeessshh...200 Mhz x 15......

Old September 30, 2010, 06:43 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
^^^^ Crank your QPI back down and increase your Multiplier.....yeeessshh...200 Mhz x 15......
That's a pretty poor suggestion. It's always preferable to set the QPI speed as high as possible.
Old September 30, 2010, 11:08 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

OP
For a "simple" OC of 3 Ghz...leave everything on Auto (including vCore vTT)
Disable Turbo Mode all other CPU Power saving features
Raise your QPI from 133 Ghz to 160 Mhz x 20 Mult = 3.2 Ghz (very easy / simple OC)
What RAM are you running? Set your Ram to Spec Timings / Voltage (DDR3 likely 1.65v)
You'll also have to set your RAM Ratio according to your QPI..as in 160Mhz x 2:10 = Ram Speed 1600 Mhz (Don't allow the RAM speed to overshoot the Rated speed)
Uncore Frequency set to 2 x Ram Speed...above would be x20 or 3200 Mhz
QPI Frequency 4.6 GT/s

With those settings you should b able to get into Windows without any additional vCore / vTT......if you cannot..bump up your Vcore a couple of nothes and retest....

You'll likely find that with the lower QPI your load Temps while testing should go down...

Initially, you should simply see what QPI you can get to (with everything at Auto except RAM (( as you want that at spec)) )...before you hit instability....then begin bumping up vcore accordingly......this is simply a different method as apposed to jacking up your QPI initally and separating it from your CPU (via lowest possible mult) and seperating from your Memory via lowest possible RAM ratio / Uncore frequency....if your choosing this latter method, if you don't seperate your QPI from BOTH Cpu and Memory, its somewhat pointless, as your looking for Max QPI with no other factors ;)

btw...80C at load with 3 Ghz is crazy hot....you should be somewhere around 60 -65C.......you did ensure proper TIM application and seating of HSF?

Old September 30, 2010, 04:02 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

I'll probably just return to stock as that is fine for the moment.
When I first did the OC on this PC I got to 3.6Ghz before hitting temps anything like this so I have no clue what has happened. Maybe its time to reseat my heat sink
Old September 30, 2010, 04:43 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

For what its worth my old 920 C1 @ 3.83 Ghz topped out in the high 60's / low 70's C under full load (TRUE push / pull), I required quite a lare boost in Voltageto get it higher and my temps were up into the low 80's C for 4 Ghz....wasn't worth it. The thing was a "rocket" at 3.83 RAM at 1600 Mhz ;)