Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 27, 2010, 06:49 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Default Need help with with overclocking i7 860 properly.

Hey guys,

I'm very new to overclocking, and I'm just not quite sure what I'm suppose to tweak and what I'm not suppose to tweak, and what is the max vCORE that I should have and how the QPI is linked with higher overclocking results.... lol in other words, I got lots of questions =P

Well... as it stands, these are the overclocking results I have with my i7 860 (my system specs are up top). Also note that my CPU is under water.

The first OC is the stable overclock (1st row) that I've been on for a while now. Now I'm on the settings in the 3rd row.

I want to maintain a 4 GHz processor speed... but I can't do it... and no I didn't want to increase the vCORE to such high measures. My question is, what can I do to keep my clock speed at 4 GHz?

Here's what happens when I put the CPU through prime95:

Any suggestions would be great!
Old September 27, 2010, 07:31 PM
F@H

My System Specs

You know you can push your Vcore 1.4V and its still safe, its the max safe and the fact you have it under water you shouldnt be worried.
Old September 27, 2010, 08:25 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
You know you can push your Vcore 1.4V and its still safe, its the max safe and the fact you have it under water you shouldnt be worried.
Oh... cool, I heard that it's not safe to go beyond 1.4 for the vcore, but now that you said that, do you know what the limit is?

Also how does QPI play a role in this?

Thanks!
Old September 28, 2010, 07:29 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

My first thought is that your temps seem a little high for underwater. Are you running one of those self contained units or a full loop?

with your VTT, QPI multiplier, and memory set like you have it you can be reasonable certain that they are not your limiting factors. You seem to be on the right track, just be systematic and only change one setting at a time.

I have found Linx to be easy to use and much faster then Prime 95 at exposing instability

In theory you can push your vCore all the way up to 1.5, without doing damage. Without massive cooling, heat will be a limiting factor long before you can get up that high though.

edit: it might also be worth it to try turning speedstep off and just run the x21 multiplier on your cpu.

Last edited by Rye 1080; September 28, 2010 at 07:41 AM. Reason: additional thoughts
Old September 28, 2010, 07:53 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Actually, Intel Burn Test is probably the best and one of the quicker stress testing software which will early on let you know if your OC is stable or not.
Old September 28, 2010, 10:49 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Intel burn test and linx both use linpack as far as I'm aware, so six of one, half dozen of the other
Old September 28, 2010, 02:29 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rye 1080 View Post
My first thought is that your temps seem a little high for underwater. Are you running one of those self contained units or a full loop?
I'm using a full loop, not one of those aftermarket self contained units (i'm assuming you're referring to things like the h50, h70 etc.). Are these temperatures high? Also, if i turned off speedstep, how would that benefit towards higher overclocks? If i brought my multiplier down to 21x I would have to have a higher BCLK to compensate wouldn't i? (as you can tell i'm a total noob)

Thanks for the suggestions to those stress testers, it's so much better using those than using prime95 rofl. I'll keep you guys posted!

Last edited by feerof; September 28, 2010 at 02:39 PM.
Old September 28, 2010, 02:39 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

I don't have a ton of experience with water cooling. But unless you have low speed fans or a single 120mm rad, i would try reseating your cpu block.
Mid to high 60's under load is more what i would expect from a i7 860 @ 4ghz with a typical cooling loop.

using 21 is sometimes more stable, its kind of quirky in my experience. Turbo boost/speedstep is just one more variable to eliminate. Most if not all decent motherboards are perfectly happy to run up to 200mhz BLK, Its just a thought.

Last edited by Rye 1080; September 28, 2010 at 02:47 PM.
Old September 28, 2010, 06:40 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Turning off Speedstep and Turbo Boost will eliminate the fluctuation in frequency multipler and voltage levels. These fluctuations can sometimes cause instability, or so I've heard. I've also heard that some processors, specifically the i7 940, prefer odd multipliers(?). Could be complete BS, but just something to consider.
Old October 2, 2010, 01:57 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

cool, ty BKH2 I think i turned off turbo

but here are my final overclocks and final voltages, I've tested it with the intel burn test on the extreme level and for 100 times, and luckily it passed lol.

And F@H ftw! =D