Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 6, 2010, 12:21 PM
Rookie

Default AMD Athlon II 635 only OCing to 3.364 GHz

Ok so I have recently been attempting to overclock my system. I have got it to 3364 GHz (232 FSB, 14.5X multiplier), and I canít seem to get it past that. I can get it stable @265 FSB and an 11 multiplier, so I doubt 232 is my FSB max.

Here are my specs (not overclocked) :

AMD Athlon II 635 2.9 GHz (water cooled by a Coolit ECO)
XFX ATI 5770 1 GDDR5
ASUS M4A87TD EVO
WD Black Caviar 7200 RPM
G. Skill Ripjaws 1333 MHz (out of the box it runs 9-9-9-24)
Thermaltake TR2 600w

My 232 OC is at stock volts, and is quite stable. I dropped my ram down instead of overclocking it.

Anything over 232 FSB (even 233) makes my system very unstable. I raised the volts, but they did nothing. I tried fooling around with the RAM timings, but they havenít done much either (but I don't really know what I should be fooling around with, and how much). Whenever I boot (while OCing) I open up my temp checker, and I havenít seen it pushing 50C, so itís almost definitely not temps. When my system crashes some of the pixels stretch horizontally, and then the system dies and restarts itself. I think that either my video card or my RAM are my problems, but I donít know what to do to stabilize them (however, this is my first OC, so I very easily be far off). What can I do to push it past 3364 GHz? Or is that the highest I am going to get my system?
Thanks for the Help!
Old September 6, 2010, 12:38 PM
Banned
F@H

if the pci-e is synched at 100mhz youre fine, might want to try 101-103 mhz just for kicks.

relax ram, give it some juice same with the other voltages. little by little. 3.36 on stock is qute nice , i usually get around 3.2 on stock regardless of cooling.ok not extreme but not stock either.

not a humongous fan of that psu though :)

depending on what you do, the next 200-300 mhz might do or not do much for you. if you fold, ok. how many vcolts did you give it? at 3.5 i think i was around 1.5 on air.
Old September 6, 2010, 12:45 PM
Hall Of Fame

as above. up your chipset/northbridge frequency too.
Old September 6, 2010, 01:02 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
if the pci-e is synched at 100mhz youre fine, might want to try 101-103 mhz just for kicks.

relax ram, give it some juice same with the other voltages. little by little. 3.36 on stock is qute nice , i usually get around 3.2 on stock regardless of cooling.ok not extreme but not stock either.

not a humongous fan of that psu though :)

depending on what you do, the next 200-300 mhz might do or not do much for you. if you fold, ok. how many vcolts did you give it? at 3.5 i think i was around 1.5 on air.
ya the PSU isn't that great, but w/e.

And you only think that I can only get up to 3.4? I can get it to boot even at 3.625GHz, but it always dies in under a minute. And for volts, I did everything. I went from stock to 1.45 to 1.5 to 1.55 and everything in between. @1.55 it wouldn't even boot all the way.

And you want me to up RAM volts? If I'm relaxing it, why does it need more juice? I will try to up the CPU/NB frequency, but how high? Thanks for all the help.
Old September 6, 2010, 01:14 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

it sounds like your HT link is outta wack it's been a little while since i have oc an amd chip to higher levels
Old September 6, 2010, 01:21 PM
Banned
F@H

yes. what mr bee said as well, lower the mobo speeds , memory fails me but one always has to be less than the other one for the system to boot when clocked(high)

start upping one setting at a time and see if it makes a difference

before you do any of this though you should memtest the ram just in case. any errors, and you dont do anything else before stabilizing the ram
Old September 6, 2010, 05:02 PM
Rookie

ok... time to fiddle around with evrey setting i can find!

Last edited by DrJohnFever; September 6, 2010 at 05:09 PM.
Old September 6, 2010, 05:10 PM
Banned
F@H

usually less is better, specially when it comes to temps,juice. remember, unless youre shooting for a new world record, bumping .2 on the cpu to get that extra 100 mhz is not quite practical :)
Old September 6, 2010, 05:23 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Sounds like the OP is just shooting in the dark.

This is how I overclock a AMD system:

Start with the Board: Finding the maximum FSB is easy, drop to half your stock multi ( if your multi is 12x drop to 6x ) Run stock volts to the cpu.
Drop your ddr's multi down to half it's rated speed, Make sure the ddr sticks are getting the required voltage for full speed as the speed's will increase as you find your FSB limit.
Drop your NB multi to half, you can drop to the lowest but I have found 0.5 works just as well.
Now start to increase the FSB until it wont POST. Bamb FSB limit. Now remember that number.

Now onto the cpu:
Drop the NB and ddr down to half or lowest speeds and the FSB at 200. Start raising the CPU multiplier by 1x until it fails to POST, When it fails to POST, softreset the CMOS and up the CPU voltage IN SMALL STEPS ( remember upping the V's ups the heat so keep a eye on your CPU's temps ) Now as long as your temps and voltage are within the limits of your CPU you should be fine. When you cant pour more voltage and heat and it fails to POST that is the limit of your multi and close to the limit of your CPU. Remember that number.

HT: Make sure this value is greater or equal to your NB speed dropping lower than NB's speed will cause massive instablity. I leave my HT multi at whatever the NB multi is adding a small amount of voltage as needed for instability. Watch those Motherboard temps though as again more voltage, more heat.

I am not going to go into RAM clocking other than this small explanation. Using the numbers you have above you should see what RAM speeds you want to be running. Make sure your setting the right values in the BIOS for your ram, Timings/voltage.
Getting your RAM "dailed in" is probally the hardest part of finding the overclock, since there is so many variables.
Below is a slightly outdated guide to overclocking RAM and Timings but there is some very good info in it.
The Memory FAQ - PC Perspective Forums

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old September 6, 2010, 06:44 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I think it is your RAM. When you overclock the FSB, the ram OC's as well. Try to knock the RAM multiplier by a notch and see what happens!!!

-Plato