Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 30, 2010, 02:26 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Overclockin i7 930 Batch #3942A819

Hello everyone.

So I finally gathered and assembled all the parts. Played a little BC2 and did a few Benchmarks to warm up my rig a little.

Now I got curious and started overclocking the CPU, which is currently idling at 45-50C. Is this ok?

I didn't bother oc'ing the GPU since it's already at 80-90C on load. Not gonna touch that until I got it watercooled.

I'm a little phobic, so every feedback is greatly appreciated, since this is my first OC ..

Edit: just run Prime95, 80-90C on load.

Edit: holy s*** it just humped the 100C xD brb lowering settings.
Attached Images

Old August 30, 2010, 02:35 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Is that the lowest stable voltage? Try 1.30V with LLC enabled, should hopefully bring down temps quite a bit. What is your QPI voltage?
Old August 30, 2010, 02:39 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoob View Post
Is that the lowest stable voltage? Try 1.30V with LLC enabled, should hopefully bring down temps quite a bit. What is your QPI voltage?
QPI is at 1.1V

I'll try that out what you said.

Edit: Temps dropped by 2-5C. The System was 'stable' actually, but hitting 100C on the CPU .. it was just a matter of time until it'd shutdown from overheating xD

Edit: Temps are staying at 69-75C on load now, thank you ^^ Testing it with Prime now ..
Attached Images

Last edited by Closed Note; August 30, 2010 at 02:54 PM.
Old August 30, 2010, 02:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Closed Note View Post
QPI is at 1.1V

I'll try that out what you said.

Edit: Temps dropped by 2-5C. The System was 'stable' actually, but hitting 100C on the CPU .. it was just a matter of time until it'd shutdown from overheating xD

Edit: Temps are staying at 69-75C on load now, thank you ^^ Testing it with Prime now ..

Nice chip! 4ghz at 1.25 on load is a decent D0. You can always keep finding a stable OC, then lower the voltages in increments until you get a BSOD. After that, bump your Vcore by two increments and you should be good to go.

I would still highly recommend atleast a better air cooler, even if you're at 75c on the stock cooler. Ambient Case temps play hell with the stock Intel coolers. I despise them.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old August 30, 2010, 03:15 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
Nice chip! 4ghz at 1.25 on load is a decent D0. You can always keep finding a stable OC, then lower the voltages in increments until you get a BSOD. After that, bump your Vcore by two increments and you should be good to go.

I would still highly recommend atleast a better air cooler, even if you're at 75c on the stock cooler. Ambient Case temps play hell with the stock Intel coolers. I despise them.
thank you very much for the tips :) I can really need them right now ^^

it's not a stock cooler btw. it's a V10. I haven't even touched the stock cooler yet haha xD

btw. I find confusing answers on HyperThreading, should I enable or disable it?
Old August 30, 2010, 03:29 PM
Banned
F@H

was looking in your system pecs and didnt notice a nice little cm 212+ or such in there.

temps , that stock right? are pretty warm. around 100c itll throttle itlsef.

im blind. v10? hmm...Cooler Master V10 Review Page 4 - Testing - Overclockers Club

Thermolab Intel Heatsink Temperature Comparisons - BADA2010 FrostyTech Review

look in that link for a general heat sink comparison. check the 212+ vs other more expensive coolers.

edit : since you paid for a cpu with ht do enable it.
Old August 30, 2010, 03:31 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Enable HT. It gives you 8 'cores', and will allow for better performance in thread-optimized applications. It will probably raise your coretemp by 3-5c however.

Generally speaking it is good to use!
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old August 30, 2010, 03:40 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

@_dangtx_: I don't quite understand what you're trying to say ^^; there's a V10 on my 930 right now, with ThermalFusion 400 (which came with the V10)

@Sagath: Thank you, I'll leave it on then if it's just those 3-5C

I'm gonna run a few loops on Linx and Prime now.

Edit: Do I have to look at the Core Temps or the Temp on the left?

Core 1 80C
Core 2 78C
Core 3 78C
Core 4 74C

and on the left it says 67C, I'm a little confused here :o

Edit: haha just had a blackout xD yay this is fun :D I was lucky that my iPad was still on, or I wouldn't have seen s***.

Last edited by Closed Note; August 30, 2010 at 04:09 PM.
Old August 30, 2010, 04:26 PM
Allstar

Keep an Eye on all the cores temps.

At least i always have.
Old August 30, 2010, 04:51 PM
Banned
F@H

yeah,sorry about that.

look here for a better cooler : Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus CPU Cooler Review

although now that i look at a direct comparison, not worth it. youll probably need a more hardcore cooler, which properly installed will drop another good 5-10c.