Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 30, 2010, 06:24 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
look here for a better cooler : Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus CPU Cooler Review
That's not a better cooler.
Old August 31, 2010, 02:42 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

unfortunately I couldn't stabilize the 4GHz, I'm currently at 3.8GHz at 1.25 Vcore Volt (120 Linx Runs, 1h of Prime, looks pretty stable right now, but I'll run another few hours of prime.). I'll post the other voltages after work!

Edit: I think I'll stay at 3.8 until I connected all the exhaust fans of my HAF X, currently only one is running, which is the front intake fan. Still waiting for my sleeved cables to arrive from performance-pcs =/ the last time I tried to connect the rear exhaust fan, it caused a blackout on basement level when I plugged the powercable back in hahaha xD

Last edited by Closed Note; August 31, 2010 at 04:48 AM.
Old August 31, 2010, 09:57 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

I'm sure you can stably hit 4GHz with a bit more VTT and Vcore.
Old August 31, 2010, 10:16 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

HT doesn't enable 4 cores, it enables 8 threads. (two threads per core)
I am not familiar with the V10 cooler, however I would recommend getting a higher end cooler if you're running higher voltages / clocking to 4.0Ghz. Noctua D14, Prolimatech Megahalems, Thermalright Venomous X (etc)

I kinda question what's up with the 1.5KW PSU - are you going tri/quad-SLI with those 480s or something? (you should read up on dual vs tri and quad SLI with the 480s before you waste the money for 5-12% performance improvement)

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.
Old August 31, 2010, 10:48 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rison View Post
I am not familiar with the V10 cooler, however I would recommend getting a higher end cooler if you're running higher voltages / clocking to 4.0Ghz. Noctua D14, Prolimatech Megahalems, Thermalright Venomous X (etc)

I kinda question what's up with the 1.5KW PSU - are you going tri/quad-SLI with those 480s or something? (you should read up on dual vs tri and quad SLI with the 480s before you waste the money for 5-12% performance improvement)
I'm going quad SLI with the hope that scaling will improve in the next few driver releases, until then I'll go dual or tri-SLI and stay there for a while :)

Thank you for the CPU cooler suggestions!

@Zero82z: I'll try again as soon as I connected all the casefans :) until then I'll stick to my 3.8GHz
Old August 31, 2010, 12:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rison View Post
Seriously, you had to clarify this? There is a reason I put cores in brackets.

And last I checked, according to the OS, it views the 'threads' as 'cores, and treats them as such. Thus, technically, they are 'cores', even if they arnt physically 'cores' on the die.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old September 1, 2010, 04:08 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I think I stabilized it .. 3999.9 MHz at 1.247V it says in E-LEET. Just a little more finetuning, and I'm there :)

I'm currently running my routine Linx Loops, and tomorrow I'll fire up Prime for a few hours.

Load Temps are at 80C, max it hit until now is 85C. (I still don't have my exhaust fans connected, I'm pretty sure it'll drop a few more degrees with those connected) Ambient Temp: 18-20C

edit: Crashed on the 50th run :( raised VTT now.

Last edited by Closed Note; September 1, 2010 at 04:32 PM.
Old September 3, 2010, 02:25 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

stabilized it at 4126.6 MHz, with HT off.

I created 2 profiles in the BIOS, if I should ever need HT, I'll just fire up the other profile in BIOS.

The temps you see below are on load.

LLC/VDroop is also disabled. Seems like I don't need it to stabilize - lower Vcore = yay for me! ^^
Attached Images

Last edited by Closed Note; September 3, 2010 at 03:23 PM.