Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 24, 2010, 03:44 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Default Help with Fans and cpu

Hey all, just put together a new build, its been a while. i7 930, ASUS P6X58D-E mobo.

I have two 120mm fans chained together going into one of the headers on the mobo. Is there any way I can adjust the fan speeds without using a hardware fan controller? anything I can download to control the fans? HWinfo shows the speeds and everything, but i can't change anything.

Also, how come my CPU keeps downclocking when I have the power settings on high performance? runs at 1.6Ghz when its not doing much, even when im playing SC2, its not going above 1.6-1.7 Ghz, whats going on? Thanks
Old August 24, 2010, 08:46 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Whats up with my CPU? - A SpeedStep F.A.Q.
It is called speedstep for intel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old August 24, 2010, 08:46 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Speedstep is occuring, more details available in this thread: Whats up with my CPU? - A SpeedStep F.A.Q.
Old August 24, 2010, 08:58 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks for the info, what program should I use to put a full load on the cpu? so I can test to see if it is infact speedstep?
Old August 24, 2010, 09:03 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer98 View Post
Thanks for the info, what program should I use to put a full load on the cpu? so I can test to see if it is infact speedstep?
OCCT Website english
OCCT will work fine, trust me it is speedstep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old August 24, 2010, 09:08 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

ok, thanks. Im not doubting you, I just want to see it in action and im sure OCCT is useful for testing overclocking as well.
Old August 25, 2010, 02:04 AM
Banned

Hi,
I'm not sure why SpeedStep is an issue here as in standby/shut down the whole computer is turned off and only standby current is provided from the powersupply. I would have the thought the powersupply compatibility warning is due to the way the CPU with SpeedStep enabled quickly causes extra power to be drawn when required and some powersupplies may not be able to react quick enough, I would have thought that all branded new powersupplies are just fine.
Old August 25, 2010, 08:49 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRwebSEO View Post
Hi,
I'm not sure why SpeedStep is an issue here as in standby/shut down the whole computer is turned off and only standby current is provided from the powersupply. I would have the thought the powersupply compatibility warning is due to the way the CPU with SpeedStep enabled quickly causes extra power to be drawn when required and some powersupplies may not be able to react quick enough, I would have thought that all branded new powersupplies are just fine.
Your post makes absolutely no sense and has nothing to do with the issue at hand.