Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 6, 2010, 10:53 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Update:

I am running my G.Skill ram at it's specified 1.5V, I have them overclocked to DDR1800 and running stable.

CPU is overclocked to 3.6GHZ (20x180). Running Linx for 20 passes CPU max temp is 74C. Idle temp is about 40C. Voltage for CPU is set at 1.125.

Now, I'm a bit concerned... I think for such low voltage I'm putting into the cpu my temps should be a lot lower than they are.. Any guru's want to weigh in?
Old August 7, 2010, 08:08 AM
Top Prospect

I'd suggest you remount it then, NCIX being great and all, but you never know how they might have mounted it. For the 212+'s HDT design, the best way to apply TIM is to fill in the small gaps between the heatpipes and the base, then apply two small lines of TIM on the two metal posts in the middle. I can try to find the article on that for you.
Old August 7, 2010, 09:10 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

So you would agree the temps do seem high and worth the remount?

I think the article you're referring to is http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.ph...1&limitstart=5
Old August 7, 2010, 10:51 AM
Top Prospect

Yea, you beat me to it. Yea, I do agree that you shouldn't idle at 40 with a 212+. I idle at 36-40 with my 4ghz overclock with my I5/212+/AS5. I let it cure for the full time, so keep that in mind. If you want it done right, do it yourself; Right?
Old August 7, 2010, 11:37 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Thanks Pine.

One more question, I will try to reseat the heatsink later on tonight (or early tomorrow)... I noticed from the website I linked the way that it applies the compound.. Should I -also- apply compound to the processor itself or is it enough just putting it on the heatsink (that link does not really say). Thanks!
Old August 7, 2010, 11:42 AM
Top Prospect

Only apply compound to the heatsink (At least that's how I do it, sounds strange to apply TIM to the processor, might be too much then). Make sure you wipe down the processor with a cleaning solution (Such as isopropyl alchohol, available at any drug store), and wipe down the heatsink with said solution too. Make sure both surfaces are clean before reapplying your AS5. Best of luck!

Edit: One more thing, at first the temps didn't really improve after I remounted, but with time they surely went down.
Old August 7, 2010, 11:45 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Thanks Pine,

As NCIX built my cpu, I'm not sure the difficulty level as far as remounting this particular cooler.. As you have it, i thought I'd ask you. Will this be a tricky/difficult process? I shouldn't have to remove my motherboard from the system right (I had ncix build it for a reason!).

Any other tips/suggestions before I start that later on?
Old August 7, 2010, 11:47 AM
Top Prospect

Well, I have a backplate access thing with my HAF 932, there's a little cutout in the motherboard tray. and I was able to access the backplate that way. I think the backplate was a bit too high and it was too hard to access, so I just ended up taking out my mobo for ease of access. If you have a mobo tray cutout, just access it like that. If not, or if it's hard to get to, just take the motherboard out. Shouldn't be too tricky, I reckon...remember where everything goes! The actual remounting isn't difficult, but two sets of arms will be very helpful, as you have to hold down the backplate while screwing it in from the other side (albeit doable by one person).
Old August 7, 2010, 07:15 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Well I haven't reapplied the heatsink yet... Still wondering if I'm going to or not. I am not wanting to really go past 3.6GHZ with my rig and I've been able to lower my voltage to 1.1 Vcore to achieve my 3.6GHZ (Guess it's a decent chip to overclock with low voltage..)

I still think my temperatures are high based on the amount of voltage I'm putting into the CPU but I will worry about that this upcoming week, temperatures for now are fairly manageable.

Prime stable for about half an hour thus far.
Old August 7, 2010, 08:05 PM
Top Prospect

Those temps don't seem bad at all! 3.6ghz is a fairly large overclock (Almost a nice 1000mhz) and I think you should be happy. Let it cure, and then try to bump it up. The reseating option is yours, perhaps wait for the curing time to pass and then decide. I have it at 4ghz at the multiplier at x20 and the base clock is 200mhz, the voltage at load (LinX) is 1.24 and it jumps around a bit, to 1.264 and around there, but never too high, I believe 1.45V is the safe max. I left the vcore at default settings. It clocks down to 1.8ghz when not under load.