Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 6, 2010, 10:24 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Arctic silver also has a 'set' time period, where it cures over time.. unlike newer ceramic based (MX-2) tims.

I know i'm probably pretty late on this advice, but don't push the overclock right after installing Arctic Silver compound. Leave your PC idle for a day to properly set the compound before overclocking and stress testing. Most people have gone away from the silver based compounds for this reason.

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.
Old August 6, 2010, 10:40 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Thank you all soo much for the replies, this community is really helpful and making me feel a lot more comfortable that I have people that can tell me if/when i'm screwing up or am ok.

I'm at work right now but I will go back and try some overclocking tonight and post back with some results...

Zero, I know you mentioned thermal spec in your post... I know on Intel's website it listed a stat(dont remember if it was thermal spec or what not) that said it was 71C (and that is the reason i felt I should not be going above that when overclocking)...

I was concerned maybe I got a bad chip (too much heat) when my Hyper 212 was giving me load temps of 60C when not even overclocking! Thought I wouldnt have much wiggle room at all. If I know that I am safe at around 80-85C that definitely gives me a lot more wiggle room than I thought I had.

Again thanks for all the help guys. I will continue posting here if I come across other potential issues!
Old August 6, 2010, 10:43 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin_metal_88 View Post
I don't really know I never use their site for that:P experience tell me when a CPU is to hotBut there is certainly a safe operating temp listed somewhere.
No, there actually isn't a safe temperature listed anywhere. The only temperatures that are listed are the thermal spec and the Tjmax value (which is not a maximum temperature, it's just the temperature where thermal throttling kicks in). I've read all the relevant documentation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dot Merix View Post
Zero, I know you mentioned thermal spec in your post... I know on Intel's website it listed a stat(dont remember if it was thermal spec or what not) that said it was 71C (and that is the reason i felt I should not be going above that when overclocking)...
Yes, that's the thermal spec. As far as you're concerned, it's meaningless. I'm not going to go into what it is right now, but I will tell you that it has nothing to do with any temperature readings you will get or with any maximum temperature limits.
Old August 6, 2010, 11:47 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Thanks again :)
Old August 6, 2010, 06:13 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Ok, so I bumped my BCLK up to 190 and my multiplier is at 20x for a 3.8ghz overclock. I brought my voltage down to 1.175 (is this too low?)

Have prime running the max heat test and Speedfan is showing CPU at 83C after about 10 minutes. CORE's are C0=81, C1=84C, C2=76C and C4=81C.

I have my cpu fan running at 100% through the bios settings...

Ram I have running at 1.5 volts (G.Skill Ripjaws), dram frequency is 761.9mhz. FSB-Dram = 2.8.

Ram at 9-10-10-28. NB frequency at 3047.5mhz.

QPI link is 3428.6mhz(is this too high?)

Thanks guys.

Last edited by Dot Merix; August 6, 2010 at 06:20 PM.
Old August 6, 2010, 06:20 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Everything there is fine.
Old August 6, 2010, 06:23 PM
Top Prospect

I have the exact same setup, I5/Hyper 212+, Arctic Silver 5. At first I was concerned due to the high temps, so I remounted the heatsink. The temps didn't go down much, but I just ditched the thought of overclocking, came back half a month later (at which point the aprox. 200 hour cure time has passed), and I overclocked. It was wonderful! I got up to 4ghz stable on stock voltages, my temps never get above 73 degrees celsius and that's with IntelBurnTest, which is very stressful (It never goes above that with Prime or Linx either). I'm sure I can push it to 4.2 but I haven't the need. Just let it settle, and then overclock. You'll be amazed by the potential of this chip. My temps at the start, at stock, were also around high 50's/low sixties at load.
TL;DR: Wait half a month and overclock your heart out then.
Old August 6, 2010, 07:18 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

I brought down the BCLK to 180 to bring it to a 3.6ghz overclock, lowered ram down with it obviously... Little more comfortable with the temperatures etc... Prime doesnt go over about 77C Idle is around 43C.
Old August 6, 2010, 07:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well those temps do seem quite high for that voltage with a cm212 in a push/pull. You should be using RealTemp for CPU temp monitoring though. You could either not have enough pressure from the heatsink pushing down on the cpu, not enough thermalpaste or maybe the cooler just needs to be reseated. You mentioned in that PM that your room is quite warm but still, at 1.1V I don't think your temps should be that high with your cooling. Also, are those the timings your RAM is rated for? Seem kind of high.... QPI link is fine

edit- Even if you paste does still need to cure, the difference will be a few degrees at most. I still think it seems kind of high for that voltage. Pine that must be a beauty of a chip if you can hit 4ghz at stock volts.
Old August 6, 2010, 08:18 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Hmm... Well it's possible maybe it's not seated right... NCIX built it for me. Is there a way to tell, I push down on it and no clicking or anything.. looks level from what I can tell.