Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 4, 2010, 03:44 PM
Top Prospect

Default Anyone had this i7 930 batch yet?

Batch # - 3004B183

I would just test it myself, but i dont think my mobo is going to get here today, anyone have any experience with this batch or a similar one?
Old August 6, 2010, 02:40 PM
Top Prospect

Well, i got my board finally, turned off the power management features and booted up on stock speeds to find out approximately what the VID is, Bios is telling me 1.12 :) I'll post some more results once i've OCed it :)
Old August 6, 2010, 02:49 PM
Allstar

Last time i check... VID has Nothing to Do with OCing With I7.

JUst what ive read, Dont hold me to it.

With that Said, I was Told that my 930 Was a Bad Batch So dont listen to everything your told.

It does 4.4 @ 1.32V.
Old August 6, 2010, 03:09 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromey View Post
With that Said, I was Told that my 930 Was a Bad Batch So dont listen to everything your told.It does 4.4 @ 1.32V.

Nice!
Old August 6, 2010, 03:36 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromey View Post
Last time i check... VID has Nothing to Do with OCing With I7.

JUst what ive read, Dont hold me to it.

With that Said, I was Told that my 930 Was a Bad Batch So dont listen to everything your told.

It does 4.4 @ 1.32V.
Well, if your using software to check the VID, then your right. Coretemp/Realtemp cant display the actual VID of the chip. I'm checking mine by setting vcore to auto, and disabling power management features. I think that knowing how much volts your chip needs to run on stock is pretty important when overclocking to be honest.
Old August 6, 2010, 05:15 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelah View Post
I think that knowing how much volts your chip needs to run on stock is pretty important when overclocking to be honest.
Well, then you'd be wrong. The VID tells you how much voltage the CPU needs to run at stock. However, that often has absolutely no impact on the amount of voltage you need to hit really high speeds. A CPU that has a low VID can still require a lot of voltage for higher overclocks, or may not even overclock too well altogether.
Old August 6, 2010, 08:25 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
Well, then you'd be wrong. The VID tells you how much voltage the CPU needs to run at stock. However, that often has absolutely no impact on the amount of voltage you need to hit really high speeds. A CPU that has a low VID can still require a lot of voltage for higher overclocks, or may not even overclock too well altogether.
Ok, i see where your coming from.. Just generally from what ive seen, the lower the vid, the lower the volts needed for a nice OC. But anyway, im looking for a little help.. This bios is scary compared to my old 775 rig so far ive been able to get to 3.6Ghz (173x21) and i cant seem to get it up any higher. Im a big noob with socket 1366, but so far i've tried lowering the speed of my ram, increasing VTT/QPI volts, increased the vcore, and still cant seem to get it to go past windows logo. I think it might have been a bios issue, it was only reading 4gb of ram so i just updated it. Im going to give it another shot now that it seems to be functioning properly, but incase its still a no go, any advice on what other voltages to increase or any other settings i should change?

By the way, im not going for a massive overclock, just 4.0
Old August 6, 2010, 08:27 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

For now, the Vcore, VTT/QPI, and DRAM voltages are the only ones you need to worry about.
Old August 6, 2010, 08:30 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
For now, the Vcore, VTT/QPI, and DRAM voltages are the only ones you need to worry about.
Ok, yeah i guess it was probably just the bios issue, thanks for the quick reply
Old August 6, 2010, 10:11 PM
Top Prospect

So it was the bios, and i hadn't enabled LCC. Got it at 4.0 with 1.16V, not sure how stable it is yet, but gonna do some testing with prime95 once i get my thermal compound fixed up, i hate this damn ven-x its so hard to get it mounted properly.