Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 8, 2010, 05:34 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Im a newb as well and am using a new Rampage III Gene board with my i7-930. I have been able to get it to just over 4Ghz with 1.28v and it still runs cool with the equipment I have. I haven't changed anything else as I am still relatively...no very...new to OC'ing. Any thoughts would be appreciated as I am trying to follow along here. I have to admit that I do love this new mobo as I can step up the CPU to 17-965 level of 2.33 with a simple click and the mobo does the rest. It also has ROG connect which allows me to simply plug in a laptop and OC in real time without problem...I think...
Attached Images

Last edited by Flamenko; August 8, 2010 at 05:46 AM.
Old August 9, 2010, 02:33 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenko View Post
Im a newb as well and am using a new Rampage III Gene board with my i7-930. I have been able to get it to just over 4Ghz with 1.28v and it still runs cool with the equipment I have. I haven't changed anything else as I am still relatively...no very...new to OC'ing. Any thoughts would be appreciated as I am trying to follow along here. I have to admit that I do love this new mobo as I can step up the CPU to 17-965 level of 2.33 with a simple click and the mobo does the rest. It also has ROG connect which allows me to simply plug in a laptop and OC in real time without problem...I think...
Looking good so far :) I don't know much about OC'in the i7's ether as you can probably tell by looking at this thread, but i was able to hit 4.5 with easy, just playing around with PLL, QPI, and CPU voltage levels, didn't need to really touch anything else. Just make sure you stress with Linx, it seems to be the best stability testing program, don't have to wait 40 hours to have it fail on you like you would with Prime 95 or something. Quick and easy, and does some HARD stress to ensure your completely stable.
Old August 9, 2010, 04:37 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Im going to be honest and this is why I asked for the pro opinion as well. I have only adjusted my voltage and BCLK...havent touched QPI or anything else... Do I need to?

Old August 9, 2010, 05:17 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenko View Post
Im going to be honest and this is why I asked for the pro opinion as well. I have only adjusted my voltage and BCLK...havent touched QPI or anything else... Do I need to?
The only reason to play around with voltages is if you're having stability issues. You should use as little voltage as possible across the board as you can without compromising stability.