Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 29, 2010, 11:47 AM
Rookie

Default Newb Question re: OC software

Hi there. Sorry in advance for this silly newb question.

I purchased a new Asus motherboard which features a utility called Turbo V Evo. It basically helps beginners overclock their systems using software without making any permanent changes to the BIOS. The BCLCK reverts to stock settings after each reboot.

I've used this utility a lot when playing games, sliding the BCLK up from its stock 133 to 142 for that added snap. I make no other changes. But while I like the crispness of the gameplay on a faster clock, I always get these crackling noises during the cut scenes of Modern Warfare 2. (I never hear these sounds while playing music or other games or whatnot -- just this game and only during the cutscenes.)

Do I risk damaging my system by constantly shifting the internal base clock up to 142 using this software? Is the crackling noise a sign that I'm somehow killing my PC with this software?

I ran OCCT on these settings for an hour without any errors. I ran Prime95 for one and a half hours and my temps held steady at 65C. I then did 10 passes of the Intel Burn Test at standard settings and got 65C. I did 10 more on the highest possible settings without problems (my temps ran up to 69C, though). I once tried making the change in the BIOS and the noise disappeared but I really don't know enough about these things to make any permanent changes that way.

Your advice will be greatly appreciated. Again, my apologies for what are probably old and annoying newbie questions regarding this matter.

Thanks.
Old July 29, 2010, 12:09 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

No, you are not risking damage. Does the crackling occur only while overclocked, or does it happen at stock speeds as well? If it only happens when overclocked, go into the BIOS, manually set the PCI bus frequency to 33MHz and the PCI-E frequency to 100MHz, and then see if it still occurs.
Old July 29, 2010, 12:42 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
No, you are not risking damage. Does the crackling occur only while overclocked, or does it happen at stock speeds as well? If it only happens when overclocked, go into the BIOS, manually set the PCI bus frequency to 33MHz and the PCI-E frequency to 100MHz, and then see if it still occurs.
Thanks a lot for the quick reply.

The crackling occurs only when overclocked -- and only during the cutscenes of MW2. I don't hear it at all when playing other games using Turbo V. When I tried manually setting the BCLCK up to 141 and 140 alternately in the BIOS the crackling disappeared.

I'll try your recommendations and see how it all turns out. Do I reset the values back to default once I revert back to the i5 750's stock 133 BCLCK? No changes made through the Turbo V Evo desktop interface are permanent (except auto-tune, which I don't use).

Again, thanks for the reply. I do appreciate the help.
Old July 29, 2010, 01:34 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner View Post
Thanks a lot for the quick reply.

The crackling occurs only when overclocked -- and only during the cutscenes of MW2. I don't hear it at all when playing other games using Turbo V. When I tried manually setting the BCLCK up to 141 and 140 alternately in the BIOS the crackling disappeared.

I'll try your recommendations and see how it all turns out. Do I reset the values back to default once I revert back to the i5 750's stock 133 BCLCK? No changes made through the Turbo V Evo desktop interface are permanent (except auto-tune, which I don't use).

Again, thanks for the reply. I do appreciate the help.
what powersupply do you have?

is it coming from it,gpu,socket area?

disable sound,unplug speakers and check again.
Old July 29, 2010, 04:12 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner View Post
The values I gave you are the intended stock frequencies for those buses. Having them set manually when your CPU is at stock will not affect anything.
Old July 29, 2010, 05:02 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
what powersupply do you have?

is it coming from it,gpu,socket area?

disable sound,unplug speakers and check again.

OK, checked it. The sound comes from the speakers. I don't hear anything while playing music or Arma2 and Operation Arrowhead. I unplugged the sound and heard nothing. I only hear it when I use the Turbo V Evo software to increase BCLK. The higher I get, the louder the noise. When I enter the target figure in the BIOS, however, the crackling noise disappears completely.

Here are the relevant specs, I think:

CPU: Core i5 750 @ 2.67Ghz
Mobo: Asus Maximus III Formula
6 GB Kingston DDR3 RAM (1.5 v)
PSU: CoolerMaster Silent Pro 700W

I'll go adjust the memory frequencies as suggested earlier and see what happens. One question, though, does adjusting of the frequencies of either memory or the processor automatically increase or decrease voltages when these are at default in the BIOS? That stuff is a jungle of confusion for someone of my poor aptitude for electronics and -- well, computers in general.

Thanks for taking the time to read through this and bothering to reply. Many thanks!

Last edited by roadrunner; July 29, 2010 at 05:49 PM.
Old July 29, 2010, 05:55 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

I didn't say anything about changing memory frequencies. I said to lock the PCI and PCI-E bus frequencies at their default settings.
Old July 29, 2010, 05:57 PM
Banned
F@H

the soft is borking something, go with the old bios, sonny.
Old July 29, 2010, 06:19 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
the soft is borking something, go with the old bios, sonny.
I really doubt that this has anything to do with the software.
Old July 30, 2010, 12:12 AM
Hall Of Fame

Using the Maximus's included sound card? Updated drivers for sound card and patched game?