Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 11, 2010, 04:56 PM
Rookie

Default lf O.C. links

hi first time poster.

im looking for links and how to's on overclocking iv done some research on my own but i think all it did was confuse me even more.

iv found sites where to O.C. you change ever dam option in your entire bios disabling tons of options enabling others. but on the other side of the spectrum iv seen some vids and links where all they did was mess with 2-3 voltages and one other option to make do what they need and bam done.

i have an i7 930 BTW
Old July 11, 2010, 05:43 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue woopa View Post
hi first time poster.

im looking for links and how to's on overclocking iv done some research on my own but i think all it did was confuse me even more.

iv found sites where to O.C. you change ever dam option in your entire bios disabling tons of options enabling others. but on the other side of the spectrum iv seen some vids and links where all they did was mess with 2-3 voltages and one other option to make do what they need and bam done.

i have an i7 930 BTW
The problem is no single guide will show you the way. There's so many combinations of hardware and even if it's the same model, no two things are exactly the same. Some people go for modest overclocks, some people go for extreme.
To try to explain it a bit for you, most of the stuff getting disabled is things that are enabled to conserve energy. Mainly C1E and speedstep (EIST I believe). That usually helps with some overclocks as the motherboard isn't switching around stuff when you don't want it. You don't HAVE to disable them, but sometimes it helps. Another thing disabled often is Turbo Boost. That kicks your processor into overdrive during certain tasks, which while overclocking, could push your processor too far and cause crashes, blue screens, etc.
That's all I can explain right now since I'm at work and can't go browsing to a bunch of sites. I'm sure others will be able to help you here though.
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old July 12, 2010, 10:39 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

+1 ^^^....if you want something as a guide then you can have a look here X58 STICKY INDEX....Find your links lots of links with lots of info to get you started even if you don't have EVGA board. Also, google is your friend Google

Old July 12, 2010, 12:29 PM
Rookie

wow thanks for the link thats got to be the most in depth overclocking page iv ever read and it was step but step which i thought was awesome.