Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 19, 2010, 09:16 PM
Rookie

Default Temperatures for AMD X4 940 at stock speed using CM Hyper 212+ cooler

Hey guys, I am planning to OC my AMD 940 BE sometime in the future.

Currently it is running in stock speed (3.0 Ghz) with a coolermaster Hyper 212+ cooler using the thermal paste that coolermaster provided.

idle temp (recorded using AMD overdrive) is around 46 C, normal load (i.e. gaming) is around 48-50 C. Full load using prime95 large FTT after 6 minutes is 56 C and seems to be stable. (been 56 C for the majority of the 6 minutes).

It is in a coolermaster 690 II advanced case with stock fans. 140 mm front, 140 mm top and 120 mm back. The case is under my desk, which has poor ventilation.

Current outside temperature is 26 C. My room is very warm so I estimate it is at least 30-32 C in the room.

I heard from other CM hyper212+ owners that my temp is very high. they told me to reset it with reapply the thermal paste as I apparently didn't apply enough the first time. I did that and the temp is the same.

Questions.
Should I try a thermal paste like arctic silver 5 to reduce my temp?

How is my current temp?

Ok to OC or should I get a better CPU cooler?

Thanks!
Old June 19, 2010, 10:12 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

My room is also very warm, I am using an X4 940 along with a Noctua NH-D12 cooler inside a P183 case with an extra Coolermaster R4 fan for intake. My Tricool fans are running on low and my temps are 33-35 idle. I will check later for load.

But the different in idle temp is a bit too big I find, specially since your case should have better airflow than mine. Maybe try reseating the heatsink or let someone more knowledgeable inform you. For my part, I will give u as much information regarding my situation so you can compare.
Old June 19, 2010, 10:19 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Your idle temp does seem a bit high, but it's really the load temp that you should be concerned about. That's what will limit your overclock.
Old June 19, 2010, 10:40 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Are you running it in single or dual fan mode? I found adding case fans wherever possible also has helped to lower the temperature of my internal system with the first gen of that case. Fans i added, 5.25" bay, 2 on the top, one on the bottom and one on the side. You'll be surprised how much lower your pc can run with very good air flow
Old June 19, 2010, 11:30 PM
Rookie

sorry what single or dual fan mode are you referring to?

would have too many fans make alot of noise? Kinda of worried about noise as I don't want my pc turns into a jet taking off.

so is my load temp too high for overclocking?

Its my first time building a PC. First time I watched someone on youtube who said to apply a pea drop of thermal paste on the cpu and use a card to even it out.. the thermal paste was so thin it was see though..

then I reseat the heatsink and reapplied the thermal paste using this method here.. http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.ph...1&limitstart=5

this time it was thick enough as the heatsink kinda of sticks to the cpu now..

no difference in temperature between the two methods. I am starting to think that my thermal paste is not working correctly.. or I applied incorrectly.. or my CM hyper 212+ is not great and maybe I should drop $100 on a Noctua NH-D14..

but if the temp stays the same with Noctua NH-D14, I will be really pissed hehe.
Old June 19, 2010, 11:48 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

hummm...my phenom II x3 has unlocked 4th core and OC'd to 3.25GHz, but it's only idling around 33C...i have a hyper 212+ with CM thermal paste also, and my room is pretty warm too...

r u sure ur temps are correct?...the thermal paste should NOT be too thick...and it should NOT be too thin as to being see-through...

u need to apply a thin layer, but not see-through...make sure your heatsink is sitting correctly over your cpu, and not loose...put some fans in ur case if u dun have some already...

i like my antec tricool fans, and i also like arctic cooling...some others like noctua fans and scythe...all are pretty good and quiet with PWM...

212+ is one of the best hsf i've had so far...56C is kinda high, imo...so if u're pushing 46C on idle, and load is 56C, i dun think OC'ing would be a great idea...

i dunno...i've been told, ideally, it should be under 40C idle after a decent OC...if u can get it under 30C idle after a decent OC, then u can push it even further ofcourse...

Last edited by cul8erppl; June 19, 2010 at 11:54 PM.
Old June 20, 2010, 05:37 AM
Banned
F@H

youll be fine. keep it below 70 :)
Old June 20, 2010, 05:52 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

^^^ yeah, 70C should be fine...i'm a worry bee, i always freak-out when I see my cpu temp reaching near high 40s, LoL...
Old June 20, 2010, 06:22 AM
Banned
F@H

chances are you wont kill nothing, unless you dump smithering voltage loads on it lol
Old June 20, 2010, 07:07 AM
Rookie

thanks for all the help. maybe I applied too much this time. Also, when I was reapplying thermal paste the second time, I didn't wipe it with 99% alcohol as it was so thin. I just wiped it with a gloved finger. This time I will clean it with some 99% alcohol and apply a bit less than last time.

Going to see how that works. If not I will buy some arctic cooling mx-2 or mx-3 and give that a go..

If not.. Noctua NH-D14 here I come...

Yeah I am paranoid because I used to have a PC that overheated and destroyed the motherboard and ram.. CPU was fine but I had to underclock it.. I was a newbie at that time and took it to a computer store where they charged me shitload of money.. That time it was because I had a really small case with poor airflow.I thought if I build my own pc now with a big case and a good HSF, the temps would be better.. Not the case here.

I will keep you guys updated.

Thanks for the help.