Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 28, 2010, 11:58 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

What i do to apply thermal paste is

1) Clean all the crap off the heatsink and CPU
2) Apply thermal paste on the aluminium ridges, not the copper pipes.
3) Put the HSF on the CPU and using the weight of the cooler to spread the paste around.
4) Check if the thermal paste covers the CPU.

5) If so, mount it.
5) If not, add a bit more paste and try again.

-Plato
Old June 28, 2010, 01:40 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmaz View Post
What i do to apply thermal paste is

1) Clean all the crap off the heatsink and CPU
2) Apply thermal paste on the aluminium ridges, not the copper pipes.
3) Put the HSF on the CPU and using the weight of the cooler to spread the paste around.
4) Check if the thermal paste covers the CPU.

5) If so, mount it.
5) If not, add a bit more paste and try again.
Oh man, what's with all that paste usage?!?!?!

Clean off both the CPU and cooler with vodka or some other strong alcohol. Then apply a half-pea-sized ball of paste in the center of the CPU. Install the cooler. Before tightening the cooler, jiggle it around on top of the CPU and then tighten. This works perfect each time.

How did you manage to go through a whole tube of AS5?! A tube lasts me over a year man.

The other thing to note is that your ambient room temperature is extremely high. I don't know how you survive with a 30-degree room, let along your computer. So the idle and load temps you posted earlier are actually not surprising to me.

Try to undervolt the CPU for lower heat.
Main: Intel 2600K @ 4.8GHz | Gigabyte P67A-UD7-B3 | 16GB Corsair DDR3-2000 | 2 x 240GB Corsair Force 3 in RAID1 | 2 x 4TB Hitachi 7K4000 | 3 x 2TB WD Caviar Black | Antec 1200 | Seasonic XP-860 Platinum | 2GB GTX 670 | 2 x 27" Asus VE278Q | Asus Essence ST | Win7 Pro 64-bit
Old June 28, 2010, 01:53 PM
Rookie

Yeah need to get a/c.. sweat 24/7 at these temps in my room.
Old June 28, 2010, 07:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oversized Rooster View Post
Oh man, what's with all that paste usage?!?!?!

Clean off both the CPU and cooler with vodka or some other strong alcohol. Then apply a half-pea-sized ball of paste in the center of the CPU. Install the cooler. Before tightening the cooler, jiggle it around on top of the CPU and then tighten. This works perfect each time.

How did you manage to go through a whole tube of AS5?! A tube lasts me over a year man.

The other thing to note is that your ambient room temperature is extremely high. I don't know how you survive with a 30-degree room, let along your computer. So the idle and load temps you posted earlier are actually not surprising to me.

Try to undervolt the CPU for lower heat.
But I thought that is what you do with HDT style coolers...

-Plato
Old June 29, 2010, 04:02 AM
Rookie

Alright. time for an update. Got some good news and bad news. Good news.. My temp dropped 2-3 C at load. Bad news.. the drop is not that dramatic. These temps are recorded with room temps ranging from 29.2 C to 30.1 C depending on time of the day.

Note that my new thermal paste is ARCTIC SILVER 5 and my application method is the one that is posted here - http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.ph...1&limitstart=5

for HDT coolers and with a little modification I used for my coolermaster 212+ has it has more silver stuff that that HDT cooler posted on that there. I also used a pea drop on my CPU heat surface as many people here recommended so...might be overkill.

So of course, more pictures.

1. I take off heatsink and look at previous installation (54 C CPU temp, 52 C core temp under load)

2. WIPED WITH 100% ETHANOL AND REAPPLICATION WITH ARCTIC SILVER 5

FOR FAR WITH NEW THERMAL PASTE APPLICATION AND ROOM TEMP OF 29.2c, the new IDLE TEMP is 42C for CPU and 41 C for the core.

When gaming at 30.1 C room temp, I had 52 C CPU and 49 C for the core.

Temps tested with speedfan, verified with AMD overdrive.

So you guys really think I need to get Air conditioning in my room before I can OC? With say ambient temp of 23 C, how much will my temps be reduced?
Old June 29, 2010, 08:31 AM
Top Prospect

you'll be okay just as long as you dont exceed the 62 degree celcius limit of the phenom II.
Old June 29, 2010, 01:05 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineLives View Post
you'll be okay just as long as you dont exceed the 62 degree celcius limit of the phenom II.
It won't throttle till 70 I believe.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old June 30, 2010, 08:36 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

You're now applying a correct amount of thermal paste (much less). Good job.

Honestly though, you will see the most improvement if you can somehow cool down your room to 20-22*C.

It's not just your CPU that's suffering the heat. EVERYTHING in your case is also creating heat - the mobo, hard drive, video card, etc. All of those contribute to the overall temperature.

When your room temp is so high, even if you had 10 intake fans and 10 exhaust fans, you would still manage pretty poor results.

As for max temp, in my experience with overclocking a Phenom 940 BE, if the load temp is too high, you'll get lock-ups. The same CPU, same frequency and same voltage in another room where the temperature is cool runs prime95 on and on.
Main: Intel 2600K @ 4.8GHz | Gigabyte P67A-UD7-B3 | 16GB Corsair DDR3-2000 | 2 x 240GB Corsair Force 3 in RAID1 | 2 x 4TB Hitachi 7K4000 | 3 x 2TB WD Caviar Black | Antec 1200 | Seasonic XP-860 Platinum | 2GB GTX 670 | 2 x 27" Asus VE278Q | Asus Essence ST | Win7 Pro 64-bit