Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 21, 2010, 06:39 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

to much tim by the looks of it.

Wipe off all that (leave whatever is between the pipes in the gaps) and reapply about 1/3 the amount. Put three SMALL lines on the three inner posts. Install it and tighten it down. Do one turn per corner bolt in a X pattern (1 then 4 then 2 then 3) repeat untill they are all tightened down as far as they will go.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old June 21, 2010, 08:11 PM
Rookie

well. I am out of thermal paste..my arctic silver 5 won't arrive until next week.. but I am confused by what you said where to reapply..

so the problem is too much thermal paste?

Old June 21, 2010, 09:02 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

hummm...i never applied thermal paste to my hsf's b4, LoL...i know lots of people do that, but i put it on the CPU instead...

i squeeze one line of it on one side of the cpu...then take a card and spread it to the other side...creating a thin layer, and leaving the excess on the card...

then i put the cpu on the mobo...then put the hsf on...whenever i take the hsf off, i can see the thermal paste has been spread pretty good and even the "valleys"/"channels" in the 212+ have been filled...

ummm...do u have ur computer next to a heater?...or the rear is up against a wall or something, where the exhaust air isn't exhausting?...

Last edited by cul8erppl; June 21, 2010 at 09:07 PM.
Old June 22, 2010, 02:59 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I also apply my tim directly to the CPU. I usually cut up the cardboard that comes in the tim packaging to squares and use that to spread it across the CPU. A thin layer is key, should be just barely thick enough to no longer be transparent. Remember, the cooler is supposed to be doing the work, the tim is only there to create a good thermal contact between the CPU and the cooler.

I'll also throw in I'm running an X2 550 unlocked to an X4 940. I'm currently OC'd to 3.8 and my idle temp is between 31-33.
Old June 22, 2010, 04:46 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Do you have a motherboard header you can use for the fan so that you can verify that it's running full speed?

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old June 22, 2010, 05:48 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

The way that you're applying thermal paste seems to hold risk of capturing air bubbles in the little valleys between the heatpipes. What I did with my Fenrir (also an HDT cooler like your Hyper 212+) was to put a line of thermal paste across the cooler perpendicular to the heatpipes, spread it across as much as I can to fill up those little valleys, and then applying the pea-drop method on the CPU. That way, the thermal paste on the cooler fills up any nooks and crannies that the Hyper 212+ has between those heatpipes, thus simulating a "flat" cooler base.

Of course, another alternative to applying thermal paste instead of the pea-drop method is what you pointed out in the above picture, which is to put small lines of thermal paste across those gray bars between the heatpipes. I tried both - the differences are negligible, in my opinion.
Old June 22, 2010, 06:57 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

^^^ yeah, i don't think the brand of thermal paste & how you apply it would account for that much of a difference either. 33 vs 46 idle temps are a big difference imo.

that's why i'm asking if the back of the computer is sitting up against a wall, where the air cannot exhaust properly or something. Or, if the temperatures are even correct? Or, if the hsf is correctly seated.
Old June 22, 2010, 08:32 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cul8erppl View Post
^^^ yeah, i don't think the brand of thermal paste & how you apply it would account for that much of a difference either. 33 vs 46 idle temps are a big difference imo.

that's why i'm asking if the back of the computer is sitting up against a wall, where the air cannot exhaust properly or something. Or, if the temperatures are even correct? Or, if the hsf is correctly seated.
That was my first guess too, seeing as how he says it is situated under his desk with poor air flow.

OP is the case in one of those cubby holes in your desk?

I think it is just boiling down to poor placement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old June 22, 2010, 10:54 AM
Rookie

I'm starting to think those temps are normal. If you could measure the room temperature and confirm it is around 30c.

I have a similar setup, a 955 hoocked up to a vendetta 2 and im getting 42c idle with ambient of 31c. In the winter it idles between 32-34c.
Old June 28, 2010, 11:31 AM
Rookie

Hi, just an update. I brought a thermometer over the weekend and got a room temp reading of 29.2 C with CPU temp of 42 C at idle and 53 C when gaming (50%-75% processor) usage. The core temp is usually 2-3 C below that.

I also received some arctic silver 5 thermal paste. will apply them tonight and post the results.