Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 10, 2010, 04:08 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Default Tell my Dad OCing is Safe

So about a day after I finished my build I had the CPU(930) overclocked to about 3.6 with highs of 70. Later that day my power supply went bang, literally.

My dad seems 100% certain that it was the OC that did the computer in, but even after telling he over and over that the PSU should have handled the extra load(750W PSU) he is certain that it was the OC. So now he wont let me OC the computer anymore and unfortunately he paid for more then half of it so his word kind of has to go.

Basically all I want is a long list of people telling my dad that OCing my 930 to 3.6 with a U12P SE2 should be ok, can you guys do that for me?

thanks,
Jamula66
Old June 10, 2010, 04:33 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

According to your computer specs you've got some heavy hitting gear in that rig. But you're correct in stating that your XFX 750 should have had the power to handle a modest overclock but for whatever reason it failed. I'm not familiar with OC'ing Intel chips but a 3.6 OC from stock 2.8 is a good jump and may have put extra strain on the PSU but I doubt enough that it would cause it to fail. It could be any number of reasons why your PSU crapped out, bad luck is my guess.

Usually when I OC a CPU and I push it to far the computer just won't boot or BSOD after POST I've never actually heard of an OC blowing up a PSU but I suppose it's not out of the realm of possibilty. There are so many variables that could have contributed to your duff PSU, heat, bad PSU, to much load, power surge the list goes on I'm sure these are just off the top of my head. I'm confident that the OC isn't solely responsible for the PSU failure but it may have hastened it's demise, there may have been a manufacture defect in the PSU to start with.

Anyway I don't know what to say here. You're correct in thinking that your PSU should have been able to handle the OC, but your father's concern that the OC may have contributed to it's failure is also correct. I would respect your fathers wishes for the time being and don't OC the PC. He is your father and deserves to have his wishes respected, he is after all paying the bills and I'm sure he is the one dishing out for the new PSU.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/nightwarp/R7YQuMGt-JI/AAAAAAAADoQ/KVuthG6qJfE/s400/Supportourtroops-2.jpg

Old June 10, 2010, 04:55 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelt View Post
I'm sure he is the one dishing out for the new PSU.
Nope XFX has a great warranty. Send it away and 2 weeks later here it is on my door step. :)
Old June 10, 2010, 05:05 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

sorry but until you start to pay for all your gear yourself then your kinda in a rock between a hard place. or pay your dad back for it then oc the hell outta of it
Old June 10, 2010, 05:34 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I had the exact same argument with my son as your dad is with you, and gingerbee is right, as long as your dad has invested some of his hard earned cash into that computer you really should listen to him.I do have one question are you overclocking cause you need to, or are you doing it cause you can?Good Luck.

Old June 10, 2010, 05:54 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

A 750 watt should easily handle that load. Check my specs for my 920 OC, it has been no problem on the psu front.

I think your father should consider himself lucky that you are at home working on projects rather than driving around in his Mustang taking it 1000 rpm past the redline.
Old June 10, 2010, 06:07 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I'll chip in and say that no way should that overclock cause a psu failure. For reference my 850W Seasonic is powering my i7@ 4.2 ghz, 1 power hungry GTX 480 overclocked, wc pump, 8 fans, and the usual peripherals. I'm running folding on the cpu and gpu and my battery back up shows a draw of 514watts.

Of course the old saying holds true : "he who pays the piper calls the tune"

HWC Overclocking Team, breaking hardware for fun!

Team Thread
Old June 10, 2010, 06:10 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Very rarely have I ever seen or had a PSU killed via overclocking.

Believe me I have killed MANY systems on every level you can think of. Your overclocking will kill your systems internal components (North/South Bridges, CPU, RAM, GPU) WAY before if not EVER your PSU. Most PSU's are designed to shut down if the load comes to high unless you buy some cheap value brand PSU. In which case I have had a firework show go off in one during a Peltier experiment.

I would like to know the details in which you had overclocked your system. Voltages are my main concern.

How old is that PSU? If it's fairly new then you should just RMA the unit and be done with, problem solved.

Note to your dad: High end computers can be like a race, they go fast, they blow up, then you through more cash at it.
For some people (Absolutely me) can spend ridiculous amount of money on there computer in a few months time. A PSU blowing up is the LEAST of your worries.
Old June 10, 2010, 06:36 AM
F@H

My System Specs

How about a compromise?

While I doubt that overclocking would have caused that particular PSU to fail, it's certainly not outside of the realm of possibilities (if so, then there was probably something wrong with the PSU in the first place). That said..... the first rule of pushing the limits of your hardware is accepting the risk. If you can't afford to replace something that goes south.... don't do it!!!! ;)

Now, as to the compromise..... how about getting the best OC you possibly can without bumping voltages out of spec? That will not put any undue stress on the hardware and hopefully will meet with your father's approval.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old June 10, 2010, 06:50 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

OCing is safe, as long as you know what you are doing. The PSU failed because it was defective, not because you were overclocking.