Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 10, 2010, 07:58 PM
Banned
F@H

no protection = plain dumb. there is no way to control what the end user puts on it, except with protection.
Old June 10, 2010, 08:36 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
no protection = plain dumb. there is no way to control what the end user puts on it, except with protection.
Actually, the way most Seasonic made PSUs are wired, it's impossible to overload them with actual hardware (not a dummy load) unless you use a few of molex to PCI-E 8 pin adapters and load up 4 overclocked GTX480's on a multi CPU fully loaded board.

Not to mention most of them will provide a bit more than their rated spec.

You won't blow it up with an overload unless it was defective to begin with, or you intentionally put a lot of effort into blowing it up.
Old June 10, 2010, 09:32 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I hope your dad understands that XFX is a great name in PSUs since they're heavily based on Seasonic units. A defective unit could have failed under stock CPU settings while you were gaming. What would he say then? Don't play games any more?

$hit happens. If you can't reason with your dad, try offering to buy a new PSU yourself. Oh, and don't let your dad take that PC to a computer shop "to get it fixed." They'll stick in some piece of $hit Thermaltake $60 unit with just enough juice to run your comp at stock. That's another "bang" waiting to happen.

For the record, OCing is safe. Your particular OC of 3.6GHz is a walk in the park which likely didn't even require budging from stock CPU voltage. Heck, I've OCed my Intel 860 to 3.6GHz for everyday use AND I've in fact UNDERvolted it!
Main: Intel 2600K @ 4.8GHz | Gigabyte P67A-UD7-B3 | 16GB Corsair DDR3-2000 | 2 x 240GB Corsair Force 3 in RAID1 | 2 x 4TB Hitachi 7K4000 | 3 x 2TB WD Caviar Black | Antec 1200 | Seasonic XP-860 Platinum | 2GB GTX 670 | 2 x 27" Asus VE278Q | Asus Essence ST | Win7 Pro 64-bit
Old June 10, 2010, 11:14 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuseMe View Post
Typical... Rather talk to an IT guy that does tech work for a living than actually listen to people that do this for a hobby. Hell, that IT guy probably has no idea what an overclock is We who do this for a hobby can give any IT guy a run for his money...
Thankfully this guy knows a bit more then that. He built a computer for us about a year ago now. Aparently after I first build the computer he asked whether I was going to OC so he's not a complet idiot.
Old June 11, 2010, 12:08 AM
MVP
F@H

So, just to reiterate and make it perfectly clear: get a job, buy your own gear, stop whining.

WORK KANG: Silverstone SG03 | EVGA x58 Micro w/ 920 @ 4.2Ghz | Sapphire 5970 | 12GB Dominator DDR3-2000 | 240GB Revodrive X2 | SilverStone ST650F
MINI KANG: BitFenix Prodigy | Asus P8Z77i Deluxe mITX w/ 2600K @ 4.5Ghz | EVGA GTX 680 2GB | 8GB Vengeance DDR3-1866 | 2x Intel 160GB SSD | Corsair AX650
KANGZILLA: Custom MM Ascension | SR-2 | 2x X5650 | 2x SilverStone ST1000F | 2x Intel 160GB SSD | 15x 120mm rads | Under construction...

Old June 11, 2010, 12:22 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Overclocking is pretty safe granted that you're not ridiculous.

Like others said, defective PSU. Would've died anyways..

I run my i7 @ 3.8GHz.. had it like that for over a year... It even folded 24/7 for months at 100% load..

RMA the unit, and go again
Old June 11, 2010, 12:50 AM

Under no circumstances would overclocking that system kill that power supply.

I would go ahead and stake my reputation on that.

It's impossible.

Heck, I'd even put money down on it. If you, your dad, or his IT guy can in some way demonstrate that overclocking killed the power supply, I'll give you a new one from my personal stash.

It just doesn't work that way. The PSU was defective.

For faster (and official) NCIX service please contact our customer care team at www.NCIX.com (Canada) or www.NCIXUS.com (USA)

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=25647
Old June 11, 2010, 05:55 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamula66 View Post
Thanks for all of your input, but my dad had chosen not to trust a heap of people ramdoms on the internet and says he will bring up the matter with an IT guy at his work. With any luck the guy will tell him the same thing that many of you have, that it wasn't the OC but a faulty power supply. I'm probably looking at being aloud to do a mild OC probably 3.2 or .4.

Tanks for your replys,
Jamula66

Sorry to tell you there dad. Your IT guy at work is probably a member of HWC. lol

We HWC live, eat, and Breath Overclocking.
Old June 11, 2010, 07:05 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
...Heck, I'd even put money down on it. If you, your dad, or his IT guy can in some way demonstrate that overclocking killed the power supply, I'll give you a new one from my personal stash.

It just doesn't work that way. The PSU was defective.
^ Good guy right here Does this go for all of us
Old June 11, 2010, 11:42 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Now that would be an awesome challenge. I would gladly attempt to destroy a PSU using overclocking alone. I successfully destroyed a HDD by having the reader slam in to the hard disk.