Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 10, 2010, 07:01 AM
Banned

I agree. You got a Power Supply that had a ticking time bomb inside and one of the caps blew by the sounds of it. Happens to all of us one time or another. The OC had nothing to do with it.

As long as you turn the PC OFF when you are not going to use it for more than a couple hours you will extend the life of any PC. Sleep mode/Hibernate still uses power.

Your dad is just being paranoid IMHO.
Old June 10, 2010, 07:04 AM
MVP

My System Specs

PSU failure from Overclocking is possible just very unlikely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
OCing is safe, as long as you know what you are doing. The PSU failed because it was defective, not because you were overclocking.
I have to agree and disagree. Even if you know what you are doing you can still call Overclocking an unsafe practice. Mind you if your careful and never cross the overclockers imaginary line in the sand then I will call it safe.

To be honest Jamula66,
If your dad is involved with your computer so much that you need to post a topic to convince him otherwise, tells me he may be the money man with your computer. I am not trying to pick on you but I can't blame him for pointing a finger if he indeed payed for the machine.

If you did pay for it yourself then your dad can't complain to you but just give you an evil eye. RMA that PSU and call it a day. Unless you are going to tell me that thing is past it's warranty then it is time for a new one anyways.
Old June 10, 2010, 07:42 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

One thing to consider is what happens if the whole computer is totally dead. Will you use you own money to replace or complain to dad.

If you paid for it, then do whatever you want to it. But if your parents bought it for you, then respect their wishes.

-Plato
Old June 10, 2010, 07:50 AM
MVP

My System Specs

My point exactly.
Old June 10, 2010, 08:33 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Overclocking didn't kill that PSU but be weary of convincing your dad of this if another component fails he will definitely blame overclocking regardless of the cause. Then you'll really be in trouble :D
Coolermaster Cosmos II \\ Intel i5 2500K@4.8ghz \\ Gigabyte PA67 UD7\\ MSI Twin Frozr GTX 680 SLI \\Corsair Vengeance 8GB LP \\ Seasonic Platinum 1000W \\ X-Fi Titanium HD \\ OCZ Vertez 3 120GB \\ RAID 0 Seagate Barracuda 1TB SATA6G 64MB \\ Samsung 27" 3D LED Monitor \\ Logitech G5 \\ Logitech G-15 Keyboard \\ Logitech Z-5500 \\ Sennheiser 595 \\ Windows 7 x64
Old June 10, 2010, 09:02 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

As everyone else stated, the power supply you had can absolutely handle your system specs.

The difference in overclocking (as the power supply is concerned) is added heat (power).. so for example at stock your motherboard, cpu and ram could pull 210Watt from the power supply, overclocking would raise it slightly, to say 220-230W. It wouldn't be enough to over-load a PSU.

I do like sswilson's idea, however it's a bit flawed. Overclocking without raising the cpu voltage will increase power supply load (not by much..) and sitting on the edge of a auto vcore with overclock could effect stability and reliability of the motherboard over time. (capacitors weaken, etc)

What I would suggest is a modest overclock, 3.4Ghz. It boosts overall performance of the computer system, with what most would consider no detrimental effects to the components. Just make sure you have adequate cooling in the tower (as with any over clock) And I hope you have a decent aftermarket cooler for long-term overclocking.

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.
Old June 10, 2010, 09:11 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

I agree, there is no way you are killing a 750w from a modest oc. It was defective, just RMA and start again :)
Quote:
OCing is safe, as long as you know what you are doing. The PSU failed because it was defective, not because you were overclocking.
Old June 10, 2010, 10:27 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
YES! This is my opinion.

I would want your father to know that a PSU is made to deliver power and not blow up. If it's running out of power it should simply turn off. I firmly believe an OC will never damage a properly built PSU.

However, it's still his choice, now he's got the information to make a informed decision.

Last edited by Perineum; June 10, 2010 at 10:33 AM.
Old June 10, 2010, 10:39 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I dunno...do XFX make good PSUs? I would never have considered them as an option for any of my rigs.

But yeah, like others have already stated, I doubt the OC had anything to do with the PSU failure. Maybe a wrong cable was connected somewhere or it was defective to begin with. At least the XFX warranty covered it. I'm a dad and I like to overclock. :)
System Spec Peripherals: Corsair H70 cpu cooler (w/ 2 120mm Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850rpm fans) | Zalman MFC3 fan controller | Gigabyte Aivia Osmium kb | Steelseries Sensei mouse | Logitech Z-2300 2.1 speakers | SteelSeries SX mouse surface
For the real serious stuff: 2.53GHz Mac Mini | 4GB DDR3 1066 RAM | 320GB HDD | Samsung P2250 (x2) | Apple Magic Mouse | Apple Magic Trackpad | Apple Wireless KB | Drobo FS 6.5TB
Laptops: Dell XPS M1530 | Asus G74SX-DH71
Surface Pro 128GB
Old June 10, 2010, 10:47 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

All these guys are right. The power supply would just cut out if it ran out of juice. Overclock it, you've got a decent heatsink so you should be fine!

Oh, and have some completely random pictures for no reason whatsoever.

Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...