Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 15, 2007, 03:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Default Bored? Try this!

Hahahaha, when it gets cold.....Prof. Dr. Silver gets happy! Why? Can't wait for the weather to turn bad, let it start freezing already! Check this out:

Freezing Cold Air from outside blown into my rig...

Almost better than a Phase Change for C$ 900.00. Right?
So that's what I do when I'm bored! ROFL!
Old November 15, 2007, 03:56 PM
Hall Of Fame

Until you start getting condensation and zap something :)
Old November 15, 2007, 03:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Nah.....the airflow takes care of that...just make sure the fan is on the High Setting! LOL. That was for sure a fun evening!
Old November 15, 2007, 04:14 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I'd like to see in more detail what you have done... Picture of an A/C unit and a computer next to a windows does not say a whole lot.
Old November 15, 2007, 04:32 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

You got your CPU to -10 with an air conditioner? Never heard of that.. how can you hold that temp with any load?

I always used to bench in the winter with -5 to 0C ambient. It always helped a few extra mhz on mem and fsb, but cpu was under a mousepot.

Old November 15, 2007, 07:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Default Well....

To begin with...the outside temperatures (from the balcony, on the 16th floor; that night.....my wife wasn't home...so I could do this without being beaten up because of the cold!) were @ -22C. With the airconditioning' fan on high and nothing to cover up my case. The freezing air blew straight onto/into my rig.....and froze everything.

At the point were everything reached a nice low temp, I started benching! I had a few issues though....I was not aware that HDD's don't like sub zero temps, so benchmarks could not be ompleted because my rig would crash! Once i figured that out...I insulated my drives and started the benching!

This was my old setup: Asus P5N32-E SLI, Pentium D930 @ 4.5GHz cooled with a Zalman CNPS7700Cu, 2Gb PC5400 @ 800MHz, 2x250Gb HDD's, 2x7600GT Fatal1ty's @ 702/851MHz.

Let me see if I have more pics around here somewhere...

It is very hard to see, but I insulated my drives with cardboard! The 254C is really a 'minus' reading!

I'm still looking for some results pics!
Old November 16, 2007, 10:13 AM

-22C! Man its friggin cold there already.. :o
Old November 16, 2007, 11:53 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Hahahahaha NO MAN! This was last winter! But I can't wait for that again! LOL. Just gotta hope my wife leaves me for the night or so! LOL
Old November 16, 2007, 12:05 PM

Oooh gotcha hehehhe :p
Old December 5, 2007, 07:31 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Dr. Silver View Post
To begin with...the outside temperatures (from the balcony, on the 16th floor; that night.....my wife wasn't home...so I could do this without being beaten up because of the cold!) were @ -22C. With the airconditioning' fan on high and nothing to cover up my case. The freezing air blew straight onto/into my rig.....and froze everything.

ROFL!! you made me laugh hard! that picture is priceless! did your wife catch you? :D

very creative and inspiring. now i wonder if anyone has built a computer house (like a doghouse) outside?.... if you can keep out moisture then it should be fun times :)

(hmm... what about completely putting a thin layer of heat resistant plastic over everything??... like vacuum seal everything... )

-v