Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 29, 2010, 05:42 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default SSD Tweaks

This is my first time playing with an SSD and I'm finding that all the information online is pretty much conflicting.

The drive I bought is the Intel X25-V Value SATA Solid-State Drive. So far things are faster, but not incredible.

Can anyone recommend tweaks to do with REASONS why?

Almost everyone has said to remove the swap from the SSD and other tweaks. This says to do otherwise: Support and Q&A for Solid-State Drives - Engineering Windows 7 - Site Home - MSDN Blogs

Any recommendations with solid facts?
Old May 29, 2010, 06:10 PM
F@H

My System Specs

You move the page file to limit writes to the drive. It does slow things during page file writes, but extends the life of the SSD.

Other than that, I did the tweaks described here: Windows 7 - Ultimate SSD Speed Tweaks
Old May 29, 2010, 06:40 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

The link SugarJ posted has all the big ones, and a bunch of minor ones. With fairly good explanations. Not all are needed. Not all work. Its hit or miss on write caching and same goes for superfetch. I usually leave write caching alone and set superfetch to boot programs only. I like to disable hibernate as it takes up space. Where you only got 40gb (and should leave a MIN of 10% free) the more you can free up the better.

Do them and that will squeeze the most out of it performance wise, assuming that the alignments are correct. Should be IF it was a fresh install of win 7....if it was via clone....not so much and its hit or miss. Run AS-SSD and see what it says for the offset.

As for your question...before advent of TRIM (and ITGC for that matter) the name of the game was reducing writes to save performance. The more needless writes....the faster the drive got "slow". Nowadays, the name of the game is to reduce needless wear and tear and extend the life of the drive. This is why its still a good idea to move the pg fill OFF the SSD. You get 10,000 writes on avg per cell so the lower the avg writes per week....the more weeks it will last.

The biggest thing you need to do with your SSD is leave room for wear leveling to work. The more free space the more the writes can be spread out. With HDDs you dont cram them full as they get slow by doing this, whereas with SSDs they dont get slow BUT trade off lifespan for performance. MORE room is better. 10% is a good min. I like to leave more but I usually run bigger drives then 40GB'ers ;)

The Intel V is a good entry level SSD, with some minor tweaks it will stay fairly fast for a long time. and LAST a long time. Can you post a Crystal DiskMark 5 pass, 100mb file ALL tests. Maybe it is slow for a reason besides its value orientation and design.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old May 29, 2010, 06:45 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Ok will do, gimme a bit

Edit: Here we are....

Intel X25-V 40GB 2.5IN SATA2 SSD Solid State Disk Flash Drive

Intel X25-V 40GB 2.5IN SATA2 SSD Solid State Disk Flash Drive

Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB SATA3 6GB/S 7200RPM 64MB Cache 3.5IN Dual Proc Hard Drive

Last edited by Perineum; May 29, 2010 at 07:48 PM.
Old May 30, 2010, 07:44 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

bump?
Old May 30, 2010, 07:47 PM

Sorry didnt see it before. ;)

The numbers look about right for the V so it aint a physical problem. Just needs some TLC.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old May 30, 2010, 07:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

hell i was thinking those 4k's where great a couple of these in raid weeee thanks fro the benchie's
Old May 30, 2010, 08:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Those 4K's are normal for the WD black hd?
Old May 30, 2010, 08:24 PM

A little low actually. BUT how much free space was on the drive when the test was run?

Old May 30, 2010, 08:27 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It's essentially a newly formatted drive, nothing on it....