Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 28, 2010, 05:15 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

OK I did my homework. OC from BIOS to 3.5 GHz.

AvP
Name:  avp_oc_BIOS.jpg
Views: 469
Size:  129.1 KB
I've gained an astonishing 0.0 FPS from stock.

STALKER:CoP
Name:  stalker_cop_oc_bios.png
Views: 462
Size:  64.5 KB
I've gained again an whooping 1 FPS on average.

Priceless.

Bottom line:
- 500 MHz more are useless for my CPU in games
- above gaming benchmarks are deceived by changing FSB on-the-fly.

But I have a rhetorical question. From all I read on the net two "rules of thumb" stick in my head:
- at lower resolutions CPU frequency matter
- ATI cards are somehow favored by an Intel CPU with high frequency.
In my case both rules failed. Why?

Thanks all for ideas and especially Kevin who nailed it down.
Old May 28, 2010, 01:07 PM
Rookie

For every rule there are exceptions. Different games respond differently to more CPU MHz. As you found, some games barely respond at all to overclocking. GPU speed is important for gaming but for many games, a low powered CPU is enough for decent frame rates.

While working with the mobile CPU users, I've seen a lot of modern games that only fully load 2 of their 8 threads in the Core i7 mobile CPUs. 75% of the CPU is not being used while gaming. All the talk and hype of multi-threaded games is mostly just that, talk and hype. Maybe someday all 8 threads will be fully used but probably not in my lifetime. :(
Old June 14, 2010, 06:35 AM
Rookie

One thing I've noticed and this is also a strange one, But may well relate to your issue:

If you use AA in Cat Control Center AND you use the in-game AA, It really bogs down your GPU AND CPU...For some strange reason, If Cat detects in-game AA, While trying to use its own AA, It offloads what it can of its own AA rendering onto the GPU until the resources are all used up and then it offloads the remainder onto the CPU...It's a bit of a flawed system that can DRASTICALLY affect gaming.

Also, Just a possibility, I'm currently in the process of working a theory that there's an overclock ceiling for CPUs, Where, Regardless of the stability, Once you reach a certain overclock speed, You actually start seeing a degradation in performance, Rather than an increase.

As I said, It's only a theory at the moment, However.

Regarding your point of ATI cards being favoured by Intel CPUS, It's exactly the opposite.
Intel CPUs are favoured by NVidia cards.
AMD CPUs are favoured by ATI cards.

That's not to say that you'll see a noticable difference in performance if you don't match, But the efficiency is greater if they match.
Old June 14, 2010, 09:31 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastly_divizion View Post
If you use AA in Cat Control Center AND you use the in-game AA, It really bogs down your GPU AND CPU...
Thanks man but I never install CCC. RivaTuner/ATT user here. :)
Old June 22, 2010, 09:36 AM
MVP

My System Specs

unstable OC can lower performance