Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 25, 2010, 06:44 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default q6600 overlclock

I am trying to push my q6600 (G0) a little further, and I think I have her running stable at 3.6.

q6600 @ 9x400, 1066
VCC: 1.4125
DRAM: 2.10
SBCore: 1.10
NBCore: 1.40

voltage is a little high I suppose, but any lower and she wont pass intelburntest. My temps are...acceptable, i think...

during intelburntest, she maxed out at 85C

I am running p95 now and it is hovering around 68-70.

Is this acceptable? or will I cause some damage with these temps...

EDIT: 1 core failed p95 after about 2 hours. Any suggestions?

Last edited by Socrates_Johnston; May 25, 2010 at 07:56 PM.
Old May 25, 2010, 07:57 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

How are you checking your temperatures? You should be using Real Temp or Core Temp. If you are using one of those two, then your temps are perfectly fine. It's impossible to damage an Intel CPU by causing it to run at high temperatures.
Old May 25, 2010, 08:39 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

72C is the Intel max for the G0 q6600. Your temps are in the safe zone, but I personally would try to lower them. Do remember that the Intel recommended specs are fairly conservative, but don't go crazy pushing voltage and temps. (I've seen people go over Intel specs without problems, but I'm much more conservative)

I've found that overclocking 775 quads is easier with 2 bigger sticks of RAM than 4 sticks, but that's just my own opinion.

I'm going to assume the case pic you posted is your system. In that case I would recommend upgrading your cooling if you REALLY want to push your q6600. That looks like a Zalman 9500/9700, both of which weren't designed for high heat loads. Get one of the big 3 air coolers or go water if you're serious about the big overclocks. However, 3.6ghz is about the upper limit for that chip on air cooling, don't expect much more. 85C temp spikes are probably due to the cooling being a tad bit inefficient at high clocks/voltage, instability may or may not be related.

You might need more voltage for a p95 stable O/C, I don't see 3.6ghz at less than 1.45V for this chip very often.

You may want to drop your DRAM voltage, but it may prove difficult since you're running 4 sticks.
Same goes with your Northbridge.

Also, how's your Vdroop?
Old May 25, 2010, 08:57 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilya View Post
72C is the Intel max for the G0 q6600.
No, it is not.
Old May 25, 2010, 09:02 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

My bad, 71C.
Old May 25, 2010, 09:08 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Also not.
Old May 25, 2010, 10:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

When I had a Q6600 I ran it at 3.8ghz 425x9 and it load under 90C.

Do you even need 1.4v on the NB?

I used a biostar I45 board so there was no auto calibration and vdroop is consider normal for the cpu, but for such low FSB cpu such as a Q6600 you can do it with any memory that supports 800mhz.

It was cooled with TRUE 120 + noctua push and pull.

Last edited by Silvgearx; May 25, 2010 at 11:36 PM.
Old May 26, 2010, 05:20 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
Also not.
well what is it then?
core temp tells me my tjmax is 100C

Quote:
72C is the Intel max for the G0 q6600. Your temps are in the safe zone, but I personally would try to lower them. Do remember that the Intel recommended specs are fairly conservative, but don't go crazy pushing voltage and temps. (I've seen people go over Intel specs without problems, but I'm much more conservative)

I've found that overclocking 775 quads is easier with 2 bigger sticks of RAM than 4 sticks, but that's just my own opinion.

I'm going to assume the case pic you posted is your system. In that case I would recommend upgrading your cooling if you REALLY want to push your q6600. That looks like a Zalman 9500/9700, both of which weren't designed for high heat loads. Get one of the big 3 air coolers or go water if you're serious about the big overclocks. However, 3.6ghz is about the upper limit for that chip on air cooling, don't expect much more. 85C temp spikes are probably due to the cooling being a tad bit inefficient at high clocks/voltage, instability may or may not be related.

You might need more voltage for a p95 stable O/C, I don't see 3.6ghz at less than 1.45V for this chip very often.

You may want to drop your DRAM voltage, but it may prove difficult since you're running 4 sticks.
Same goes with your Northbridge.

Also, how's your Vdroop?
I'm gona install my recently purchased NH-D14 and lap my cpu this weekend...temp differences between cores is between 3-6 degrees. (first lapping attempt, so some pointers would be welcome!)

I have also heard that overclocking is easier with 2x2gb rather than 4x1 gb, but I would rather not purchase new ram
Old May 26, 2010, 05:40 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socrates_Johnston View Post
well what is it then?
core temp tells me my tjmax is 100C
Tjmax is about the closest thing to a "maximum temperature" that Intel CPUs have, though it is really just the temperature at which the thermal throttling will kick in. The thermal spec is basically a worthless piece of information, because a) it is based on TCase and b) it actually has nothing to do with any maximum safe limits.

If you want to know more, just search my previous posts. I've already explained the situation in pretty good detail a few times before so there's no point in me doing it all over again when the info is already out there.
Old May 27, 2010, 12:34 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
Tjmax is about the closest thing to a "maximum temperature" that Intel CPUs have, though it is really just the temperature at which the thermal throttling will kick in. The thermal spec is basically a worthless piece of information, because a) it is based on TCase and b) it actually has nothing to do with any maximum safe limits.

If you want to know more, just search my previous posts. I've already explained the situation in pretty good detail a few times before so there's no point in me doing it all over again when the info is already out there.
Why not post a link then. It's pretty rude to say

NOT RIGHT

that doesn't mean you're right, just being rude. I'd take Intel's word over NOT RIGHT any day.