Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 12, 2007, 05:14 PM
Rookie

Default OC'ing and parts suggestions!

Hey all!

This is my rig that I'll be building soon and I thought I'd stop by and get some suggestions (for hardware and OC'ing tips) from my fellow canucks!

So here we are;

-EVGA nForce 680i SLI Motherboard - NVIDIA, Socket 775, ATX, (New T1 Version)

-
Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 3.0GHz

-
OCZ SLI-Ready Edition Dual Channel 2048MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz Memory

-
Nvidia GeForce 9800 GTS (Maybe 8800 GT if not released soon!)

-
Ultra Black Aluminus ATX Full-Tower Case with Clear Side

-
Silverstone 120mm 9-Blades Sleeve Bearing Case Fan (x2)

-
Seagate / 320GB / 7200 / 16MB / SATA-300/Hard Drive

-
OCZ / GameXStream / 700-Watt / 120mm Fan Power Supply

-
Samsung SH-S203B Black SATA DVD+RW W/ Vista SW

-
Arctic Silver 5 Polysynthetic Thermal Compound 3.5 Gram

-
Zalman CNPS9500 LED Copper CPU Heat Sink

Open to all 'friendly' suggestions!

Thanks!

Last edited by Kassela; November 12, 2007 at 05:16 PM. Reason: accidently made text to small!
Old November 12, 2007, 05:35 PM
Top Prospect

With th RAM you are paying a premium just so that the RAm will be branded with "SLi"...plus there are much better RAM kits out there then OCZ offering's...Was there a particular reason you opted to OCZ?

Everything is relative though...what do plan to do?

Game, I am guessing but what else? Anything else intensive?
Old November 12, 2007, 05:53 PM
Hall Of Fame

Dunno if I'd hold my breath on the new generation of cards, although I certainly wouldn't complain if they came out sooner than later. If you can actually get an 8800GT, go for it. I'm not sure how long it will take for the backorders to all be filled right now.

If you don't need a bigger HDD, that's cool. But 500 GB drives can be pretty dirt cheap these days, and sometimes the 750's are nicely priced too.
Old November 12, 2007, 06:20 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
With th RAM you are paying a premium just so that the RAm will be branded with "SLi"...plus there are much better RAM kits out there then OCZ offering's...Was there a particular reason you opted to OCZ?

Everything is relative though...what do plan to do?

Game, I am guessing but what else? Anything else intensive?
Game, yes.

The reason I chose the OCZ ram was because of the dirt cheap price, the good words about it and because it is instantly recognized by the 680i series Mobo and set to the most suitable EP profile..

I am all open for other suggestions on the RAM this just seemed like a solid choice...

Thanks.
Old November 12, 2007, 06:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You can get 2048 Crucial Ballistix pc8500 for about 100 bucks now.

Also, get a corsair psu or something else- the OCZ's are decent, but they're ripply which can bollocks up your hardware after a while.

ALSO- don't get the 680i LT version, get the A1 if you want to overclock

And personally, I'd go for one of the new Intel quads that just came out in the 300 buck price range- the 680i A1 will take the higher FSB CPUs: 16 Intel 45nm CPUs released with pricing
Old November 12, 2007, 07:06 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babrbarossa View Post
You can get 2048 Crucial Ballistix pc8500 for about 100 bucks now.

Also, get a corsair psu or something else- the OCZ's are decent, but they're ripply which can bollocks up your hardware after a while.

ALSO- don't get the 680i LT version, get the A1 if you want to overclock

And personally, I'd go for one of the new Intel quads that just came out in the 300 buck price range- the 680i A1 will take the higher FSB CPUs: 16 Intel 45nm CPUs released with pricing
Aren't those the server CPU's?

Here are the comparisons....

Canada Motherboards, AMD Motherboards, Intel Motherboards, Asus Motherboards, MSI Motherboards, Motherboard Reviews, Gigabyte Motherboards at TigerDirect.ca

could you expand you reasonings on the corsair PSU, the RAM and the mobo? Hope I'm not asking too much...

Last edited by Kassela; November 12, 2007 at 07:31 PM.
Old November 12, 2007, 07:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'm not the PSU guy here so forgive my terminology: I guess there are three important things you look for in a PSU:
1) efficiency- just so you're not chewing up power and generating needless heat
2) no ripple - which is sort of a distortion- too much of this can wreck sensitive components over time, and can reduce your overclocking potential.
3) You want the full voltage from all your wires under load (12V, 5V, 3V)- some PSUs voltages will sag once there is alot of draw on them- this can also mess up your components, create instability and hurt you overclock.

Also there's price, noise, looks, size, wire-length, number of rails, and whether or not it's modular.

With the OCZ you've got alot of the good points- in fact the'yre a pretty good PSU for the price, except they have a known problem with tooo much ripple- their main shortcoming.

I recommend the corsairs because they've got it all, great quality for the money- and SKYMTL who is a PSU expert has reviewed them thoroughly and recommends them without reservation- I trust his judgement.

The OCZ RAM at a measly 50 bucks can't really be beat- you won't get a whole lot of overclocking out of them, but they won't limit you either if you get the 680i because these nvidia chipsets allow you to unlock the CPU/RAM connection so that you can set th rAM to pretty much whatever frequency you want without limiting you CPU overclocking ability-- that said- I would still go for the Ballistix as they're a super deal for 109 bucks, and you're getting Micron DGMH chips that are good overclockers. (not sure what's on those particular OCZs)

As for the mobo- the LT is a trimmed down version of the A1, but it`s also hobbled as far as overclocking abilities go. the A! is n ot much more and is worth it.

Last edited by Babrbarossa; November 13, 2007 at 08:15 PM.
Old November 13, 2007, 04:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I run the Asus P5N32-E SLI (680i) which has been nothing but awesome to me! Great overclocker and very stable. Now available for only $ 238 @ NCIX.com. They are the downgraded Striker Extreme's. Good buy if you ask me! And Babrbarossa is right about the Ballistix. Great stuff for OC'ing.