Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 11, 2010, 11:11 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Default Kingston 64GB V Gen 2 SSD not hitting good r/w numbers can you help

So after installing my new SNV425-S2/64GB Kingston SSD 64Gb and loading a fresh install of windows 7 ulimate x64 (enabled AHCI first in bios before loading windows) Im not getting any where near the advertised maximums while others with the same drive are exceeding those Numbers provided by manufacturer.

I have manually disabled Disk Defrag, and through the CMD shut hiberbnation off. trim is turned on.
system:
Q6600 no OC
Asus P5Q Pro Turbo
6GB Ram
SNV425-S2/64GB SSD
Windows 7 Ulimate x64
500w psu
HD 5750 Xfire

the controller...??? im a noob to SSD, when i installed it windows 7 installs the default jmicron controller as far as i can tell.

the first screen shot is mine the second one of a NCIX forum poster trying to help me.

Old May 11, 2010, 12:03 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I'm running the same SSD and getting nearly identical 4k speeds and access times that you are getting. Your Sequential read/writes are pretty far off, as I'm getting roughly 240MB/sec reads and 110MB/sec writes as advertised. Other then that the numbers seem accurate for this value-priced drive.

I highly doubt the user on NCIX is getting 140MB/sec sequential writes, the drives only designed up too 110MB/sec. Do you have a link to this discussion and does the user include any screens with the full results?
Old May 11, 2010, 12:24 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

See what happens when not in AHCI mode. Does the drive support TRIM?
Old May 11, 2010, 12:44 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojangles View Post
OP said AHCI mode is set. Yes TRIM is supported.
Old May 11, 2010, 01:10 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Do you have another system to try this drive in? It could be just something with that mobo / setup it doesnt like.
If you cant, un-plug all other drives AND use a dif sata cable and dif port for the ssd and try again. See if the numbers improve. If they do...great problem solved. I doubt it but try the easy things first.

Next thing to do is stress that drive while cleaning it. Download FreeSpaceCleaner and run it w/ FF option. Let it run once. Assuming it doesnt crash the system or other error happens....retest. See if the numbers improve. Could be that TRIM is not working (it will be reported as working even if it ISNT by the OS). If they dont....Id really be tempted to try it in another system, even that means bringing it over to a buddies. IF it does still post such low seq numbers in the other system, nuke all the data off it and run a freespace cleaner (obviously w/ ff option enabled) on the full empty drive and rerun it. If it improves...TRIM definitely wasnt being passed to the drive. If it doesnt Id be tempted to phone up Kingston and see if you can rma it. Something ain't right with such low numbers and if it isnt the cable, mobo or other external factors its probably the drive (most likely bad nand or bad controller...prolly bad nand if i was to guess based off the good 4k results). Funny thing is if you were getting rated seq speed but piss poor small file numbers you would be SOL, but if isnt performing to its rated SEQUENTIAL speed in two dif systems they will be more inclined to fix it good 4k speed or no.

Link for getting freespacecleaner:
Guide A simple guide for gen1 owners( Apex, solid, core V1/V2) or raid array owners who want to consolidate free space and clean the remaining Nand on the drives. OCZ gen2 drives..Vertex, Agility, Solid2, TURBO owners with FW 1.5 you do not need this

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old May 11, 2010, 01:44 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Destroyer View Post
I'm running the same SSD and getting nearly identical 4k speeds and access times that you are getting. Your Sequential read/writes are pretty far off, as I'm getting roughly 240MB/sec reads and 110MB/sec writes as advertised. Other then that the numbers seem accurate for this value-priced drive.

I highly doubt the user on NCIX is getting 140MB/sec sequential writes, the drives only designed up too 110MB/sec. Do you have a link to this discussion and does the user include any screens with the full results?

OK so what are you doing that i am not?? even if the NCIX forum poster numbers are bogus it still doesnt explain why my reads and writes arent near yours???
Old May 11, 2010, 01:48 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojangles View Post
my first install was IDE instead of AHCI numbers were worse.

yes it supports trim in windows 7

All : Ive verified TRIM is working in the CMD

fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify

the result is '0' which indicates trim is enabled, unless its reporting wrong.
Old May 11, 2010, 01:49 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Destroyer View Post

Link to disscussion

NCIX FORUMS - Kingston 64GB SSD V Read Write not as a...

PS thanks all of you for your replies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old May 12, 2010, 07:28 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolHandL View Post
OK so what are you doing that i am not?? even if the NCIX forum poster numbers are bogus it still doesnt explain why my reads and writes arent near yours???
I haven't done anything really that you haven't. I even benchmarked the system right after Win 7 was installed before adjusting any options and the speeds were roughly the same. If anything it might be a driver issue, make sure you have the latest chipset drivers for your mobo. If that doesn't work I would try and look into getting a replacement.

As a first SSD its a great drive to get your feet wet into the technology. I'll probably use it for a while as it was a great price and then look into replacing it with an Intel X-25 M drive as they drop further in price just for the better 4k and such bitrates.
Old May 13, 2010, 10:56 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

So i turned Indexing off, turned hibernate off, after a fresh install of windows 7 ulimate (AHCI), left all other settings alone. and ran AS SSD 7 times to get a proper testing. As mentioned i updated the intel drivers (june 2009 version)
results are kinda alarming with the writes almost as fast as the reads(im happy with the writes) (maybe AS SSD isnt working correctly?):