Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 11, 2010, 06:30 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
heat does not kill chips voltage does. anything under 80c. jmo
Well, they kind of go hand-in-hand. Want a higher overclock? Crank the voltage. Crank the voltage, you geat heat. Although, there are those 'golden' chips that can overclock good at low voltages.
Old May 11, 2010, 09:26 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

no one as suggestion the CM 212+ cooler, OC'ing or not, at 22-25$ its hard to beat, plus its keeping my i5 750 @3.8ghz under 69C(with 2 r4 fans 5$ each) with full load after 20hours

even with the stock fan the 212+ will keep your CPU happy.

coretemp, real temp they all do the same job, its only a matter of personal tast IMO

Prime95- just open it, hit the small or large FFT option then hit OK, and let it run for a while, to stop it, click on test->stop test and then exit.

My Boinc Stats
Old May 11, 2010, 09:42 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojangles View Post
You CPU is running great.

@gingerbee: for the most part yes, however temperature can degrade the chip over time. For the most part a CPU/GPU will throttle itself if it gets too hot and stay within a certain threshold. But, alas, who cares if you've taken one year off of the 15 year lifespan of the chip :).
very true so if you buy your stuff from the recycle guy then you may have some problems other wise hehe i hear what your saying and no one will run any cpu that long i have people who run heavy oc Pentium 2 and 3 and they just keep on ticking most of the time i have found that the board goes long before the chip does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuseMe View Post
Well, they kind of go hand-in-hand. Want a higher overclock? Crank the voltage. Crank the voltage, you geat heat. Although, there are those 'golden' chips that can overclock good at low voltages.
but this is a given side effect of overclocking everyone who oc should know this and put cooling to allow for it. jmo
Old May 11, 2010, 03:04 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Wow thanks guys, the CM 212+ looks great and it will give me the temp that I want, plug I probably won't OC at least for another few months. :)
Old May 11, 2010, 05:22 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuseMe View Post
Well, they kind of go hand-in-hand. Want a higher overclock? Crank the voltage. Crank the voltage, you geat heat.
Yes, but the heat is not dangerous to the CPU. Overvolting a CPU is the only way to damage one under reasonable circumstances.
Old May 22, 2010, 12:56 AM
Rookie

I like to keep the CPU temps below 60C, and in the summer u should pay more attention to the temps obviously. If u wanna OC a lot the key is simply a nice CPU heatsink and good ventilation, but below 60C u should be fine