Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 7, 2007, 12:31 PM
Rookie

Default Full Load/Temperature Questions

Hey guys, ive been reading alot of overclocking stuff lately and I have some questions about the quad cores.

Whenever people talk about temps they say it runs this certain temp at a full load?

So what exactly is a full load for a quad core?
I have a q6600, at 2.4ghz I run super PI and prime 95 at the same time. I do not get the cores to 100%

I have this other program called prime grid it works all 4 cores to 100%, all the time. I know a test like this doesnt really simulate real computer conditions but it is truly a full load.

Anyways to generalize the question:

For everyone who uses quad cores, how do you define a full load? And what kinds of temps are you getting at this "full load"?

Thanks for your help,

Cheers.
Old November 7, 2007, 12:39 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boat View Post
Hey guys, ive been reading alot of overclocking stuff lately and I have some questions about the quad cores.

Whenever people talk about temps they say it runs this certain temp at a full load?

So what exactly is a full load for a quad core?
I have a q6600, at 2.4ghz I run super PI and prime 95 at the same time. I do not get the cores to 100%

I have this other program called prime grid it works all 4 cores to 100%, all the time. I know a test like this doesnt really simulate real computer conditions but it is truly a full load.

Anyways to generalize the question:

For everyone who uses quad cores, how do you define a full load? And what kinds of temps are you getting at this "full load"?

Thanks for your help,

Cheers.
Get a program called Prime95 v25.3 and run the Small FFT test and it'll load up all the cores for you :)
Old November 7, 2007, 12:41 PM
Rookie

Anything that can constantly use all cores is considered full load, so Prime or ORTHOS are just fine. It's really just to make sure your system is stable because not many applications need all that processing power for very long.

With the stock cooler, under full load they hit around ~70C
Old November 7, 2007, 12:42 PM
Rookie

so what your saying is i have an old version of prime 95?
Old November 7, 2007, 12:44 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
so what your saying is i have an old version of prime 95?
Correct. Prime 95 v25.3 and up.. maybe lower allows 1 program to use multiple instances inside it.
Old November 7, 2007, 12:46 PM
Rookie

hmm ok
i ran all 4 cores at 3.06 ghz 100%, i have the B3 /B7 stepping or w/e, my heatsink is a zalman something its all copper and what not im getting temps on speedfan of 65-70 celcius with the +15 celcius offset added on to it, i turn it off when it reaches 70 haha.

i know people say gigabyte easy tune is bad for temps, but with the +15 offset added on speedfan, its about 5 degress cel less than speedfan which makes me think its pretty damn accurate! unlesss speedfan is just bad?
Old November 7, 2007, 12:49 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
hmm ok
i ran all 4 cores at 3.06 ghz 100%, i have the B3 /B7 stepping or w/e, my heatsink is a zalman something its all copper and what not im getting temps on speedfan of 65-70 celcius with the +15 celcius offset added on to it, i turn it off when it reaches 70 haha.

i know people say gigabyte easy tune is bad for temps, but with the +15 offset added on speedfan, its about 5 degress cel less than speedfan which makes me think its pretty damn accurate! unlesss speedfan is just bad?
I only trust 3 sources...

1) Bios
2) Coretemp
3) Everest
Old November 7, 2007, 12:50 PM
Rookie

Use CoreTemp!
Core Temp

70C is normal, but maybe you should try reseating your heatsink since it seems kind of high for an aftermarket heatsink.

How much voltage do you need for 3Ghz?
Old November 7, 2007, 12:54 PM
Rookie

umm
the
vcore
or w/e is at 1.38 , ram is at 2.10

haha its funny that you said i should reaset my heatsink because i went through hell setting it up. im pretty sure i followed the instructions but i couldnt use both the screws it came with, since they were too short, all in all i used 1 screw from the heatsink clip from the top, and one screw from the back of the mobo clip.

anyways is 1.38 normal? cuz i wasnt sure.. i just used auto configure voltage in the bios.

but yea i would stay away from zalman... not to mention the 120 fan on the HS blocks my 12v hookup... took me so long to get it in hahahha
Old November 7, 2007, 01:00 PM
Rookie

heres my HS

Zalman CNPS7700-Cu Ultra Quiet CPU Cooler for Socket 478/775, 754/939/940 at Memory Express

tell me what you think haha