Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 2, 2010, 10:46 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default i5 750 stock cooler

Will the stock cooler be fine? I was told the stock cooler will run at 35 idle and I should be at 25, but I've also been told the stock cooler can OC to 3.3... so confused.

Note: My general question, will my CPU be fine with the stock cooler and no OC'ing.
Old May 2, 2010, 11:12 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Wouldn't make much sense to ship a CPU with a cooler that can't cool it! It wont work unless there is some defect or anomaly occurring, such as:
-Defective cooler fan (too slow/doesn't work)
-Defective CPU
-Strange setup that prevents almost all air from flowing.

Upgrading the cooler is necessary if you decide to decently overclock or find the stock is too loud.
If you undervolt the stock speeds, it will run even cooler.

HOWEVER I think upgrading upgrading coolers can be one of the more fun things to alter with a pc, as it is very influential in expanding the limits of your performance, though it can be trying at times too.
Old May 2, 2010, 11:19 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by clone63 View Post
Wouldn't make much sense to ship a CPU with a cooler that can't cool it! It wont work unless there is some defect or anomaly occurring, such as:
-Defective cooler fan (too slow/doesn't work)
-Defective CPU
-Strange setup that prevents almost all air from flowing.

Upgrading the cooler is necessary if you decide to decently overclock or find the stock is too loud.
If you undervolt the stock speeds, it will run even cooler.

HOWEVER I think upgrading upgrading coolers can be one of the more fun things to alter with a pc, as it is very influential in expanding the limits of your performance, though it can be trying at times too.
Yeah I figured that there is no point in shipping a cooler that cant cool it properly at stock levels.. my friend is a jackass for telling me that one.

Thanks
Old May 3, 2010, 12:06 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Well, there are probably different opinions on the matter, but I've run stock coolers on hotter chips, overclocked and still kept it going. Not too quietly mind you.
Old May 3, 2010, 04:54 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

intel/amd spend money to engineer there heats sinks it's not a guess. they will work fine for stock.
Old May 3, 2010, 08:23 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I was able to pull 3.33ghz (seemed to be a very easy sweet spot) on stock cooling on an i5 750 and an i7 860 without much temp issues. But these chips can take a brutal amount of heat before they start to act screwy.
Old May 3, 2010, 09:14 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You can get some little OC for sure but noise will be in the game. Personally I think that the 30$ price tag of a CM hyper 212+ is worth to get a far better OC with silence. Or you can point to the stock cooler a big and noisy fan like a delta 5000RPM. We have done this at job with the frist I7 we build and we get it at 3.8 with the stock cooler but it was hell of a noise.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old May 3, 2010, 10:21 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Alright thanks guys, I'll look into the CM hyper 212+