Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 13, 2010, 05:59 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default Overclocking i7 920 D0 voltages

So I've had my i7 running @4.2 ghz for a while now with few issues. Started folding Bigadv with VMWare a couple days ago, and have gotten a couple BSOD's. I'm aware that this type of folding is pretty stressful on your cpu and ram, using the -smp 7 flag so cpu usage is around 90%, and 80% for the ram (6gb).

So I figure next step would be to bump up the voltage a bit to try to increase stability, or else I'm gonna miss my deadline for this WU. Increased voltage to 1.385. Temps seem fine while folding (cpu is under water), averaging 65 degrees or so depending on ambient.

So I started wondering... is the only consideration when increasing voltage to the cpu temperature? Hope it doesn't sound like too dumb of a question. I hadn't really thought about it that much until now, as the juice required to maintain my overclock running this type of folding is creeping up. I had figured as long as my temps were under control, all should be fine.

Is there anything else I should be worried about as a result of higher voltages? Thanks all in advance for any input
Old April 13, 2010, 06:08 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

I bumped everything else a bit too, seemed to help with my stability under water also. Can't give you the exact numbers but the QPI(or called CPU PLL in some cases) I set to 1.3. 1.7 on the ram and then when other numbers were like 1.1 stock I bumped them up 100mv to like 1.2 Google your mobo model + overclock and you'll get plenty of guides and other peoples successful settings.
Old April 13, 2010, 06:14 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeetard View Post
I bumped everything else a bit too, seemed to help with my stability under water also. Can't give you the exact numbers but the QPI(or called CPU PLL in some cases) I set to 1.3. 1.7 on the ram and then when other numbers were like 1.1 stock I bumped them up 100mv to like 1.2 Google your mobo model + overclock and you'll get plenty of guides and other peoples successful settings.
I've done quite a lot of googling already honestly. Trouble is most people test there stability for a few hours, or a day or two at the outside. Question is, am I good as long as the temps are fine?
Old April 13, 2010, 06:35 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

yea, you need to watch the vrm temps on the mobo though. I only test my stability for like 15 minutes. Works for me, an unstable clock will crash almost right away. I've been stable for over a year after testing my overclock this way. I think most people test way too long for stability.
Old April 13, 2010, 06:46 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeetard View Post
yea, you need to watch the vrm temps on the mobo though. I only test my stability for like 15 minutes. Works for me, an unstable clock will crash almost right away. I've been stable for over a year after testing my overclock this way. I think most people test way too long for stability.
I guess it depends on what you're doing with your system though. Big difference between light usage and cpu intensive folding 24/7.

Vrm temps would be reflected in the motherboard temp itself, wouldn't it? Good to know what I should be looking for, thanks much
Old April 13, 2010, 07:05 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Hw monitor...
Attached Images

Old April 13, 2010, 10:50 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

There is always a maximum safe voltage limit before you risk damaging something. For your CPU specifically, it's 1.5V. Stay below that and you're safe.
Old April 13, 2010, 11:29 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
There is always a maximum safe voltage limit before you risk damaging something. For your CPU specifically, it's 1.5V. Stay below that and you're safe.
Thanks Zero, I left it folding when I went to work, hopefully it's still running when I get home
Old April 13, 2010, 12:15 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by G777 View Post
Thanks Zero, I left it folding when I went to work, hopefully it's still running when I get home
Your Vcore is still below 1.5V, right? If so then you have nothing to worry about aside from the normal possibility of stability problems.
Old April 13, 2010, 01:17 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
Your Vcore is still below 1.5V, right? If so then you have nothing to worry about aside from the normal possibility of stability problems.
Oh yeah, it's at 1.39 ish. Didn't mean to suggest I was worried about torching the house or some other such catastrophe. I just hope it hasn't bsod on me since I left. I slightly bumped the voltage this am after waking up and finding folding stopped on a bsod. This is my first bigadv work unit, don't want to miss the deadline. Gotta get ready for the chimp challenge!!!