Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 10, 2010, 01:08 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default help me unlock my 4th core..!

hey guys, so i've been fiddling around with my phenom ii x3 720 HEKA...not sure of the batch, but I'm fairly certain it's one of the later ones (on a ASUS M4A78T-E mobo), and after changing the ACC to PER CORE, and manually setting the core this way with UNLEASH mode on.
core 0 +2%
core 1 +2%
core 2 +4%
core 3 +2%

This is on stock multiplier so it's running at 2.8ghz. (I had it up to 3.2 but brought it down while i was playing around with this)
the post bios screen finally recognizes my processor as Phenom II x4 20.

I then bumped up the VCORE to 1.25v. (have gone +/- 0.125v but it will not work either) Everything seemed to go smoothly, it gets to the windows7 boot up screen with the glowing logo...and the logo loads, but just continues to glow without entering Windows... Other combinations I've tried won't even get that far, and often result in the BSOD.

so my question is, am I missing something? Do I need to raise Southbridge volts, Northbridge volts? Do I even need to raise any voltage? Am I doing something wrong?

thanks in advance.
Old April 10, 2010, 02:15 PM
MVP
F@H

If I recall, it was only 904XXX chips that could be unlocked successfully. Some of the other batches will unlock but will be unstable. I know mine is.
Old April 10, 2010, 08:15 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Ultraman,

I heard that you have to put ACC to AUTO, not per core like you have at the moment. Let me know how it goes!
Old April 11, 2010, 09:30 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It works with ACC @ manual or auto.

Unlocking is all lucky of draw.
Old April 11, 2010, 10:18 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ILVgeARX View Post
It works with ACC @ manual or auto.

Unlocking is all lucky of draw.
+1, definitely luck of the draw... but some batches did have a higher success rate.
Old April 19, 2010, 12:14 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default re

Bump the voltage when unlocked to 1,37 volts (under charge, without vdrop). Stay at the default frequency.

I assume that you have an after market cooler.

If the CPU fail prime 95 or OCCT for 3 hours, then your chance are quite little.

Don't forget that the difference in performance between 3 cores and 4 cores is small. An increase in Ghz will always help.

;)
Old April 19, 2010, 05:39 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

yeah no matter what I do, I can't get it to boot to windows. Oh well, i guess i just have to wait for 6 cores! lol
Old May 31, 2010, 08:29 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavvens View Post
Don't forget that the difference in performance between 3 cores and 4 cores is small. An increase in Ghz will always help.

;)
Hummm, when I unlocked the 4th core, i noticed not much difference in day-to-day work. But, it does make a big difference when I convert video formats, run my anti-virus scan, etc. Definitely gets the job done faster with the extra core.

To unlock mine, I just used the ACC turned on. Bumped the voltage to 1.325V. Ran Prime95 for hours and hours, until my room got really hot and i couldn't take it anymore, LoL.
Old May 31, 2010, 08:42 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

To be exact: ACC was set to All Cores. Unleashing Mode was set to Enabled. Active was set to 4 Core Operation. Value was set to 0%. CPU Overvoltage was set to 1.325V.

Everything else stayed as default/auto. Hope this helps.