Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old April 8, 2010, 12:37 PM
AmuseMe's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Lloydminster & Saskatoon
Posts: 1,587
Default Are two 8pin EPS really necessary?

Once Charles sends me the last of my parts, Ill finally be able to hook up this i7 and P55 FTW. I am aiming to get my i7 860 at at least 4GHz (if the chip isn't a POS batch) and am wondering if I really need two 8pin EPS cables plugged in.

I myself am thinking that I could only get away with one, as I have never seen or heard someone use both; two seems like overkill - can anyone confirm this?
__________________
DEAD CA$H
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old April 8, 2010, 12:40 PM
3oh6's Avatar
Hardware Canucks Reviewer
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 1,052
Default

a single one is absolutely all you need. the second one only comes into to play with massive loads and even with a Gulftown running wPrime over 5GHz on the ASUS R3E...a single EPS was just fine. HTH
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old April 8, 2010, 12:42 PM
CMetaphor's Avatar
Quadfather
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 4,999

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3oh6 View Post
a single one is absolutely all you need. the second one only comes into to play with massive loads and even with a Gulftown running wPrime over 5GHz on the ASUS R3E...a single EPS was just fine. HTH

... Or if you have a Quad-socket machine lol

1x 8-pin is more than enough.
__________________
"Backed by common sense and physics!" -Squeetard
Opteron Server for Sale! http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...ade-ideas.html
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old April 8, 2010, 12:45 PM
AmuseMe's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Lloydminster & Saskatoon
Posts: 1,587
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3oh6 View Post
a single one is absolutely all you need. the second one only comes into to play with massive loads and even with a Gulftown running wPrime over 5GHz on the ASUS R3E...a single EPS was just fine. HTH
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
... Or if you have a Quad-socket machine lol

1x 8-pin is more than enough.
Phew. that means I can just use my shorter 8pin cable. I was afraid I was needing to rout it somewhere (or just making a new one).

Thanks guys
__________________
DEAD CA$H
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old April 8, 2010, 02:17 PM
MpG's Avatar
MpG MpG is offline
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Kitchener, ON
Posts: 3,144
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3oh6 View Post
a single one is absolutely all you need. the second one only comes into to play with massive loads and even with a Gulftown running wPrime over 5GHz on the ASUS R3E...a single EPS was just fine. HTH
Just curious, Jodi - have you ever come across (or measured yourself) any meaningful differences in voltage drop between 1 and 2 EPS plugs? I was always under the impression that once you hit a certain speed, the extreme cooling required started to counteract the increase in current draw.
__________________
i7 2600K | ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z | 580GTX | Corsair DDR3-2133
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old April 8, 2010, 02:31 PM
Banned
F@H
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 5,415

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpG View Post
Just curious, Jodi - have you ever come across (or measured yourself) any meaningful differences in voltage drop between 1 and 2 EPS plugs? I was always under the impression that once you hit a certain speed, the extreme cooling required started to counteract the increase in current draw.
Voltage drop will be compensated for by the PSU's voltage regulation circuitry and the CPU's own VRMs.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old April 8, 2010, 04:33 PM
Banned
F@H
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: mtl
Posts: 12,694
Default

one 8-pin gives what...150w? that should be enought least for the monstrous of overcolks
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old April 8, 2010, 05:39 PM
Banned
F@H
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 5,415

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
one 8-pin gives what...150w? that should be enought least for the monstrous of overcolks
An EPS12V connector can supply much more than 150W.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old April 8, 2010, 07:27 PM
MpG's Avatar
MpG MpG is offline
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Kitchener, ON
Posts: 3,144
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
Voltage drop will be compensated for by the PSU's voltage regulation circuitry and the CPU's own VRMs.
If you have LLC enabled, sure. But otherwise you're subject to the standard Vdroop - I was curious if the extra plug would have any influence at all on that area. I personally can't see the second plug making any difference for anything less than maybe a quad-socket board or something along those lines, but since my own overclocking doesn't go beyond the realm of single-CPU/watercooling, I'm hardly in a position to experience it for myself.
__________________
i7 2600K | ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z | 580GTX | Corsair DDR3-2133
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old April 8, 2010, 08:13 PM
Banned
F@H
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 5,415

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpG View Post
If you have LLC enabled, sure. But otherwise you're subject to the standard Vdroop - I was curious if the extra plug would have any influence at all on that area.
Vdroop and voltage drop are completely different things. Vdroop has nothing to do with the power being supplied to the board, and a second EPS12V connector won't make any difference to that.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ASUS P7P55D Pro & 8pin EATX12 with cap Logger CPU's and Motherboards 3 January 2, 2010 01:18 PM
[WTB] Seasonic 8pin & 6Pin PCI-E Overclocker~4.1 Buy/Sell & Trade 3 December 10, 2009 07:08 PM
Favorite TV Eps... omgwtf Off Topic 21 June 3, 2009 11:12 PM
Looking for extension cables - 24pin and 8pin MorePower New Builds 4 January 18, 2009 10:51 PM
4pin ATX12v and 8pin EPS connector magictorch Power Supplies 6 December 6, 2007 03:39 PM