Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 8, 2010, 12:37 PM
Hall Of Fame

Default Are two 8pin EPS really necessary?

Once Charles sends me the last of my parts, Ill finally be able to hook up this i7 and P55 FTW. I am aiming to get my i7 860 at at least 4GHz (if the chip isn't a POS batch) and am wondering if I really need two 8pin EPS cables plugged in.

I myself am thinking that I could only get away with one, as I have never seen or heard someone use both; two seems like overkill - can anyone confirm this?
Old April 8, 2010, 12:40 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

a single one is absolutely all you need. the second one only comes into to play with massive loads and even with a Gulftown running wPrime over 5GHz on the ASUS R3E...a single EPS was just fine. HTH
Old April 8, 2010, 12:42 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3oh6 View Post
a single one is absolutely all you need. the second one only comes into to play with massive loads and even with a Gulftown running wPrime over 5GHz on the ASUS R3E...a single EPS was just fine. HTH

... Or if you have a Quad-socket machine lol

1x 8-pin is more than enough.
Old April 8, 2010, 12:45 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
... Or if you have a Quad-socket machine lol

1x 8-pin is more than enough.
Phew. that means I can just use my shorter 8pin cable. I was afraid I was needing to rout it somewhere (or just making a new one).

Thanks guys
Old April 8, 2010, 02:17 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Just curious, Jodi - have you ever come across (or measured yourself) any meaningful differences in voltage drop between 1 and 2 EPS plugs? I was always under the impression that once you hit a certain speed, the extreme cooling required started to counteract the increase in current draw.
Old April 8, 2010, 02:31 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpG View Post
Just curious, Jodi - have you ever come across (or measured yourself) any meaningful differences in voltage drop between 1 and 2 EPS plugs? I was always under the impression that once you hit a certain speed, the extreme cooling required started to counteract the increase in current draw.
Voltage drop will be compensated for by the PSU's voltage regulation circuitry and the CPU's own VRMs.
Old April 8, 2010, 04:33 PM
Banned
F@H

one 8-pin gives what...150w? that should be enought least for the monstrous of overcolks
Old April 8, 2010, 05:39 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
one 8-pin gives what...150w? that should be enought least for the monstrous of overcolks
An EPS12V connector can supply much more than 150W.
Old April 8, 2010, 07:27 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
Voltage drop will be compensated for by the PSU's voltage regulation circuitry and the CPU's own VRMs.
If you have LLC enabled, sure. But otherwise you're subject to the standard Vdroop - I was curious if the extra plug would have any influence at all on that area. I personally can't see the second plug making any difference for anything less than maybe a quad-socket board or something along those lines, but since my own overclocking doesn't go beyond the realm of single-CPU/watercooling, I'm hardly in a position to experience it for myself.
Old April 8, 2010, 08:13 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpG View Post
If you have LLC enabled, sure. But otherwise you're subject to the standard Vdroop - I was curious if the extra plug would have any influence at all on that area.
Vdroop and voltage drop are completely different things. Vdroop has nothing to do with the power being supplied to the board, and a second EPS12V connector won't make any difference to that.