Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 5, 2010, 05:19 PM
Rookie

Default Advice or Comments on OC

Im new to this forum and pretty Green at OC. First this is what I have, i7 975 Extreme, Gigabyte X58-UD7(f6) Corsair Dominator 1600 tri-channel 6 gigs. Anyways like I said I'm pretty new at this and wanted to OC it from 3.33 to 4.0 on air (coolmaster 520n hyper). I went the easy route and decided to use the unlocked multiplier because I was not really sure about base clock stuff. This is all I touched in the BIOS

Multiplier 30 - brings it to 4ghz
Performance Enhanced - Set to Standard
System Memory Multiplier - Set to 12.0 to bring my RAM to 1600mhz
Memory Timings - Set my timings to 8-8-8-24 which what it is rated for, did not touch any other timings

These are some of the advanced CPU settings Im really not sure what to enable or disable but this is what I set.

Intel Turbo Boost - Disabled
CPU Cores - Enabled
CPU Multi Threading - Enabled
CPU Enhanced Halt C1E - Disabled
C3/C6/C7 State Support - Disabled
CPU Thermal Monitor - Enabled
CPU EIST Function - Disabled
PROCHOT - Enabled

As for the Voltages the only ones I changed are

CPU Vcore 1.3125 - any lower and I can't boot up
DRAM Voltage 1.60 - my RAM says to set 1.65 but its stable @ 1.60

Thats all I messed around with, I ran prime95 for an hour and the highest temp my cpu hit was 69, now I pretty much just use this rig for my Flight Simulator X, and the temp never went over 55 @ 4ghz. What I want to know is does anyone see any real flaws with how I OC'ed. Would anyone suggest pushing my CPU up to 4.20 on AIR, any advice, links suggestions would be appreciated.
Old April 6, 2010, 07:40 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

A 1 hour test is nothing near enough. Eight to twelve is good. But imo still not enough.
Run a 24 hour blend test in Prim95 if you really want a stable OC. If your temps MAX at the mid 80's imo that is ok as nothing else you do on your computer will cause it to hit those temps. Most of the blend test you'll be in the 60's and 70's. I have an i7 920 and if you wanna scan through this thread below; this is where I learned to and successfully achieved a stable 4.0ghz OC. Note it is important learn what the BSOD codes mean (eg 0x0000000101) so you know what property you will need to adjust in your BIOS.
Can someone help me OC? (p6t i7920 gskill6gb CL9T) - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net
Old April 6, 2010, 08:46 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

1 hour is enough in my books. Anything I've ever done that was stable after 30min was stable for hours. Unless you plan to fold or game intensely nothing will stress the cpu enough to reach the temps you would after 2+ hours of stress testing.
You probably wouldn't see any performance gain with 200MHz boost, though you could very well try. If it takes more than 1.4v the temps might get itchy... Though I can't speak for sure, I've never owned an i7 nor a 520n.
There is nothing wrong with what you've done so far, it is a very straight forward method that I prefer rather than ref. OC'ing. It alleviates the guess work of what is unstable. By just changing the multiplier, that's almost a guarantee my CPU OC is unstable, not the ram, NB, etc...
Old April 6, 2010, 09:25 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogueblade View Post
A 1 hour test is nothing near enough. Eight to twelve is good. But imo still not enough.
Run a 24 hour blend test in Prim95 if you really want a stable OC. If your temps MAX at the mid 80's imo that is ok as nothing else you do on your computer will cause it to hit those temps. Most of the blend test you'll be in the 60's and 70's. I have an i7 920 and if you wanna scan through this thread below; this is where I learned to and successfully achieved a stable 4.0ghz OC. Note it is important learn what the BSOD codes mean (eg 0x0000000101) so you know what property you will need to adjust in your BIOS.
Can someone help me OC? (p6t i7920 gskill6gb CL9T) - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net
Thanks to both of you, and ya after doing a little reading last night I saw some comments saying you should be testing alot longer then an hour, rookie mistake, and I did have some problems, I had to increase the vcore to 1.325 and I increased the DRAM voltage to 1.64(which what it is rated for, does this seem ok), ran it for 8 hours today same cpu temps I also ran mem test and passed it aswell. My main concern is finding out my temps for RAM, NB, and SB. I DL speedfan after doing some reading but I don't see any references in regards to North & South bridge or memory temps, is there a good program out there that will give you all the temps you need, or am I just missing something. Thanks again
Old April 6, 2010, 09:36 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I've had some overclocks fail on me even with 12+ hours of prime stable. You want to really test your OC then do some folding for a day or run Intel Burn Test or play a game that heavily stresses CPU although that one may be hard to find with a CPU like you have.
Old April 6, 2010, 09:36 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

As far as I know nothing gives RAM temps, I don't believe they are built with sensors. At 1.65 there is nothing to worry about.
In Speedfan if I am not mistaken AUX is the NB. Again, I don't believe there is a SB sensor, though there should be no reason to worry about these temps if you are only using the multiplier....or you for some reason have NO fans in your case...
Old April 6, 2010, 10:45 PM
Rookie

Alright thanks, I thought 1.65 would be ok just wanted to know what more experienced members thought, the last thing I want to do is fry something. I'll learn more in time. I was also looking into that intel burn test aswell, might give that a try, I have been using Flight Simulator X which is actually pretty hard on the old cpu, so far things are looking pretty good though. Thanks for the quick reply's guys
Old April 6, 2010, 10:57 PM
F@H

My System Specs

You may be able to increase your OC by bumping the VTT a couple of notches, and be able to reduce your Vcore. Worth a try.