Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 25, 2010, 10:20 AM
Banned

Default CPU heatsinks?

I bought an Antec 300 thinking I would move my current system over and use the current Antec Solo case for a budget system. I am not sure now, though. I probably will, however, because any considerable investment I do in the future, I wanted to A) buy a laptop and B) upgrade the current system with a new video card and SSD.

One possible issue I might have is with my current cpu heatsink. I don't know about anything about aftermarket heatsinks. I've read some reviews but I still don't know. I don't know whether you need a fan or not for them. I didn't assemble the one I have, a Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme. I think that is what it is. The store didn't add the fan and it pissed me off. Why not do the complete job? I am not overclocking because I am not sure I should with no fan there. I think I still have the fan bracket and screws or whatever you need to add that but I am not sure. I would have to go through several boxes that are in storage to see.

I'm wondering if I should just get a new heatsink and have it assembled properly and fully when/if I move my system to the Antec 300 case.

I originally bought the 300 thinking I might get a Nvidia card GTX 260 in there but now I want to see what Fermi offers (not sure they'll have any mid-range cards, though) but if there is nothing affordable, I'll probably get a HD 5770 card. I think the Antec 300 is a nicer case than my Solo anyway and I bought the 300 for about $50 so it was a good deal, I think.

Can anyone recommend or advise me what to do? If I get a new heatsink, which one?

I also checked ebay for Thermalright Ultra 120 parts for the fan bracket and screws but there's not much available. This heatsink might even still be good, though, so maybe try harder to find the accessories? I don't need the entire heatsink, though.

Anyway, maybe there is a good plan I didn't think of?
Old March 25, 2010, 10:59 AM
Hall Of Fame

wait wait wait, you're running a passively cooled Q6600? Not the best idea.. I hope you have some good airflow in that case! (it's not *impossible* or ill advised to run these CPUs passively, you just gotta be careful.)

when you purchase CPU heatsinks, most of the time they don't come with fans (unless they're integrated or some such), you have to purchase them and add them yourself.

you have a good heatsink, so in this case I'd try to find the bracket. you could probably just screw a fan into the fins even, or jerry-rig it somehow. However getting a fan is a good idea
Old March 25, 2010, 12:02 PM
Banned

Really?!? That store that did the job either didn't care or had no clue then!

I don't claim to know much and I always want to err on the side of caution!

I'll see what I can find for the bracket. I do have fans so that isn't the problem. I wouldn't know how to set it there unless I can find the box.

Maybe I should just get a new one. Then I'd have everything and it would be more recent so probably easier to get parts.

P.S. I have both side panels off. Is that okay?
Old March 25, 2010, 12:11 PM
Rookie

The Ultra 120 is a good heatsink for the Q6600. Just find used brackets. You might even be able to persuade Thermalright to send you some if you have the original receipts. A cheap alternative is to use zip-ties.
Old March 25, 2010, 12:12 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You want to have the panels on, a case is designed to have air flow through it.

As for your heatsink, basically anything that'll hold the fan in place will work. Zip ties, bent paperclips, thin wire, etc.
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old March 25, 2010, 12:12 PM
Hall Of Fame

yeah having the panels off is okay. heck use paperclips and secure a fan on there somehow for the time being or something :P

check your CPU temperatures using Realtemp or similar program.
Old March 25, 2010, 12:18 PM
Banned

Realtemp is free/freeware?

I found the box. I even bought a 'special' fan for my cpu, a S-FLEX 12cm fan.

The kit only has these wire clips to hold the fan. I have no idea how to connect it to the heatsink, though. The directions/manual is practically useless, imho, as it states to put the wire in the holes provided in the fins.... Huh?

Edit: there are holes in the side of the heatsink. Maybe it goes in some of those holes?

Why does the manuf. have to make it so damn complicated?!!? At least, have better instructions, damn it?!? I know tech shops probably can do it with their eyes closed and frequent builders probably don't have much trouble but come on?!?!?!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone have any idea of how to do this or preferably some detailed pictures?

Last edited by technix; March 25, 2010 at 12:24 PM.
Old March 25, 2010, 12:24 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I think that's what you're talking about.
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old March 25, 2010, 12:28 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by technix View Post
Really?!? That store that did the job either didn't care or had no clue then!

I will vote for the second one.
Old March 25, 2010, 12:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan4ever View Post
I think that's what you're talking about.
Yeah (to the above), sort of. That wire looks like it is longer.

I have this one: