Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 25, 2010, 12:45 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Are there heatsinks good enough to use passively (zero overclocks)? It's for a gaming HTPC build.
Old March 25, 2010, 01:13 PM
Banned

I'll just take it to another store. If I keep this heatsink combo, it will be only because I don't want to invest another $50 on it. The design on this one SUCKS.
Old March 25, 2010, 01:37 PM
Banned

I downloaded/installed and ran realtemp.

Four cores show 45, 45, 43 and 45. What does that mean? I take it that 45 degrees is acceptable (for passive cooling, anyway)?
Old March 25, 2010, 01:58 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by technix View Post
Yeah (to the above), sort of. That wire looks like it is longer.

I have this one:
They're the same ones that lpfan4ever posted. Look carefully. Just give it a few tries, there are only a few ways the wire can be mounted to the heatsink :)

Also check Noctua's guide out. Yeah the guide is for Noctua's heatsinks but the clips are all the same.

Quote:
I downloaded/installed and ran realtemp.

Four cores show 45, 45, 43 and 45. What does that mean? I take it that 45 degrees is acceptable (for passive cooling, anyway)?
That's probably your idle temps though. What you should be concerned about is the temps when the computer is under load. You should really put a fan on the heatsink.
Old March 25, 2010, 02:19 PM
Banned
F@H

you can run passive with a good hs and no oc or even underclock. temps will go high but as long as it doesn't bust over a certain threshold you're fine

that or get some zip ties.
Old March 25, 2010, 02:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk22 View Post
They're the same ones that lpfan4ever posted. Look carefully. Just give it a few tries, there are only a few ways the wire can be mounted to the heatsink :)

Also check Noctua's guide out. Yeah the guide is for Noctua's heatsinks but the clips are all the same.

That's probably your idle temps though. What you should be concerned about is the temps when the computer is under load. You should really put a fan on the heatsink.
Problem is the cpu heatsink is mounted already. The one side (bottom) has room but the top part is obstructed by the case. There's a section at top of the case with a rail that covers the top of the heatsink. I guess the weight of the heatsink was too much or something because the assembler wrapped a tie around it.

I don't want to spend any more time on this as it's really pissing me off. I'm taking it in tomorrow.
Old March 25, 2010, 05:56 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowTrobot View Post
Are there heatsinks good enough to use passively (zero overclocks)? It's for a gaming HTPC build.
All heatsinks require airflow to function properly. There are "passive" coolers out there, but they still require some kind of airflow in the case for them to cool sufficiently. I personally think it's a waste of time and money to try and get a passive heatsink, when you could get much better results simply by pairing a decent heatsink with a silent fan. The noise level will be unnoticeable, and you won't have to deal with borderline failure cooling.
Old March 25, 2010, 06:30 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Problem is the cpu heatsink is mounted already. The one side (bottom) has room but the top part is obstructed by the case. There's a section at top of the case with a rail that covers the top of the heatsink. I guess the weight of the heatsink was too much or something because the assembler wrapped a tie around it.

I don't want to spend any more time on this as it's really pissing me off. I'm taking it in tomorrow.
So the assembler not only "forgot" to install a fan he mounted it in the odd N/S orientation and not the typical E/W (aka front to back)? Damn, time to talk to his boss and ask why you paid good money for such shoddy service!

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old March 25, 2010, 07:02 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
So the assembler not only "forgot" to install a fan he mounted it in the odd N/S orientation and not the typical E/W (aka front to back)? Damn, time to talk to his boss and ask why you paid good money for such shoddy service!
if psu provides the airflow makes sense to me. hooked up bro's puter that way. stock volts of course.
Old March 25, 2010, 07:22 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
if psu provides the airflow makes sense to me.
PSUs do not and are not designed to provide case airflow.