Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 17, 2010, 09:29 PM
Rookie

Default Overclocking + Temperatures

Hey all! I'm new to the forums and quite new to overclocking.

Anyways, I purchased my computer rig last week and I decided to overclock this bad boy. I'm using a i7-920 with a Gigabyte EX58-Extreme with the Coolermaster V8. I ran into a little problem and hopefully it can be solved.

I tried to overclock right off the bat, but it kept failing so I decided to flash my BIOS with the latest drivers from Gigabyte's website. Before I flashed it, I opened up SpeedFan and my CPU read 33C (idle). I flashed the BIOS, and immediately checked my CPU temperature in BIOS, it was idling at 45C!!!

So I booted it up to Windows and checked my temperatures just to make sure, and it was still 45C. I still decided to overclock and I successfully overclocked it to 3.3GHz (stable) and tested it with Prime95 for an hour. My temperatures were: CPU: 59, and cores were hitting around 70C.

Even at stock, the temperatures still read CPU: 59, and cores hitting around 70C. So I know for a fact the overclocking to 3.3GHz isn't causing this temperature increase. Could it be that the latest BIOS version enabled a specific option that is raising my temperature?

*All my temperatures stayed the same (motherboard, hard drive, video card) but the North Bridge*
Old March 17, 2010, 10:05 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

First of all, I recommend that you use Real Temp to monitor your temperatures instead.

It is a well known property of the temperature sensors used in Intel CPUs that they provide less accurate readings the farther away from Tjmax the temperature is. For your CPU, Tjmax is roughly 100C, so at idle, the values you see will not be very accurate at all. Load temperatures on the other hand are generally fairly trustworthy, so you can be confident in those results.

Basically, you really don't need to worry about it. Chances are that whether you see 33C or 45C, the reading isn't even correct, and even more importantly, if it is correct, it still doesn't really matter, since the only thing you ever have to worry about is the maximum temperature of your CPU, not the minimum.

Another possibility I just realized is that the new BIOS may have disabled the CPU's power-saving features like C1E and EIST. That could also conceivably cause an increase in temperature at idle. Take a look in your BIOS and make sure those are enabled, and if not, enable them and then check your idle temps again to see if they have gone down.
Old March 17, 2010, 10:36 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
First of all, I recommend that you use Real Temp to monitor your temperatures instead.

It is a well known property of the temperature sensors used in Intel CPUs that they provide less accurate readings the farther away from Tjmax the temperature is. For your CPU, Tjmax is roughly 100C, so at idle, the values you see will not be very accurate at all. Load temperatures on the other hand are generally fairly trustworthy, so you can be confident in those results.

Basically, you really don't need to worry about it. Chances are that whether you see 33C or 45C, the reading isn't even correct, and even more importantly, if it is correct, it still doesn't really matter, since the only thing you ever have to worry about is the maximum temperature of your CPU, not the minimum.

Another possibility I just realized is that the new BIOS may have disabled the CPU's power-saving features like C1E and EIST. That could also conceivably cause an increase in temperature at idle. Take a look in your BIOS and make sure those are enabled, and if not, enable them and then check your idle temps again to see if they have gone down.
Great! Thank you for the fast response.

I'll downloaded RealTemp and use that for my primary temperature monitor. I will enable those two settings tomorrow morning and get back to you.

Is it a problem to have my cores around 70C with Prime95? I ran it before flashing the bios and the highest temperature I had over a 24-hour period was 63C. Thanks for all your help :)
Old March 17, 2010, 10:53 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

imo 70c under full load, although fine, does seem a little high for 920 @ 3.2 Ghz......which TIM did you use and how much did you apply?

Old March 17, 2010, 10:57 PM
Rookie

I used AS5 with a thin line down from the middle (2/3 of the CPU). I'm positive it isn't my thermal paste because I was reaching 28-33C idle depending on room temperature. All the sudden right after I flash my BIOS it jumps to 45C - so I'm almost positive it's a setting.
Old March 17, 2010, 11:42 PM
Rookie

Okay I just downloaded RealTemp and my temperatures are : 45 45 43 43.

I just checked the BIOS and C1E and EIST are both enabled. I even decided to bring my multiplier down to 20 from 21, and my BCLK from 160 to 133. Still the same temperatures Does anybody have any other ideas?
Old March 18, 2010, 10:42 AM
Hall Of Fame

drop your voltage too?
Old March 18, 2010, 04:15 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocklobster View Post
Okay I just downloaded RealTemp and my temperatures are : 45 45 43 43.

I just checked the BIOS and C1E and EIST are both enabled. I even decided to bring my multiplier down to 20 from 21, and my BCLK from 160 to 133. Still the same temperatures Does anybody have any other ideas?
It sounds like stuck sensors to me. Don't worry about it. Like I said before, load temperatures are what you need to worry about.
Old March 18, 2010, 05:01 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Welcome to the forums. Load is all that matter as zero has stated good luck on the oc
Old March 18, 2010, 11:25 PM
Rookie

I flashed my BIOS to the latest version and here are my temperature readings:

CPU: 38-39C
Cores: 38 38 35 35

I researched and the BIOS version I had before was off by 5-7C, and these are my correct readings. Still pretty high for a aftermarket heatsink (V8) with a HAF 932. I also added two new 120mm (Coolermaster Red LED) fans but ran into a problem. The holes on the fan aren't threaded, so I had to muscle in the screens. A lot of vibration is being produced (my table is vibrating :@) and I think it's the bottom 120mm I mounted beside the PSU. Does anybody have any idea what I should do?

Also, I'm planning to return the V8 for a H50. I'll be using the Coolermaster 120mm fan, followed by the radiator, and the Corsair stock H50 120mm fan - would that be okay?