Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 21, 2010, 11:50 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Can't overclock XFX HD 5850 Stock?

Hi guys,

I can't seem to overclock my XFX HD 5850 stock using the AMD GPU Clock Tool. I had increased the memroy clock from 1000 to 1150, but when I tried running Furmarks, the program freezes after a few seconds and then the whole screen changes into vertical bars, leaving me with no choice but to reset the computer. It should be noted that running Furmarks in stock clock or clocked using ATI CCC is flawless.

I was under the impression that this card was easily overclocked. Maybe I should stick with the Overdrive in ATI CCC?

EDIT: included steps that I followed and events that occurred during failed overclock.

1. Ran furmarks at stock clock for 5 minutes to warm up gpu
2. Keeping furmarks open+running, I opened AMD GPU Clock Tool, set memory clock to 1150, then clicked set clocks
3. System froze. I reset
4. Went back to AMD GPU Clock Tool, set memory clock again to 1150, THEN opened furmark.
5. Furmark's stability test ran for a couple minutes, but noticed random stuttering (random screen freezes), until finally entire computer froze.

Please note that the ATI CCC was running in the background. I tried redoing the whole process with CCC disabled, but the results were the same.

For now, I've settled for using CCC's overdrive feature, but I've increased the fan speed through CCC to 40%. I'd like to use MSI Afterburner to set a range of fan speeds, but as soon as I close Afterburner, CCC seems to override it.

Last edited by mike.mgs4; February 21, 2010 at 12:20 PM.
Old February 21, 2010, 12:33 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

1150 is a substantial overclock for the memory. Overclocking is an inexact science and results can differ from sample to sample.
Old February 21, 2010, 12:44 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
1150 is a substantial overclock for the memory. Overclocking is an inexact science and results can differ from sample to sample.
True. I'm most likely going to stick with CCC Overdrive. It's just a bit disappointing considering that everyone I talked to about this card says it's very good for overclocking. At any rate, even without overclocking, my games run flawlessly. (DA:O @ 1680 x 1050 with everything maxed out, even aa)
Old February 21, 2010, 12:47 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

A card being a good overclocker doesn't mean you can overclock it without abandon. You have to go up gradually until you reach the card's limits, and then back down to a stable speed.
Old February 21, 2010, 12:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Memory overclocking usually won't be as high as a GPU core OC. 1150 would be a sweet overclock if it was stable, like SKY said (kind of lol). Why not just drop it down to 1125 and try that?? Even 1100 would be good. Aren't you going to overclock the core? You'll see more FPS from Core clocks anyways.
Old February 21, 2010, 12:49 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
A card being a good overclocker doesn't mean you can overclock it without abandon. You have to go up gradually until you reach the card's limits, and then back down to a stable speed.
Guess I've learned something new. Just hope I didn't damage the card with the failed overclocks.
Old February 21, 2010, 12:54 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.mgs4 View Post
.....I'd like to use MSI Afterburner to set a range of fan speeds, but as soon as I close Afterburner, CCC seems to override it.
you can use after burner with an ATI... I'm going to try right away ...
Old February 21, 2010, 12:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.mgs4 View Post
Guess I've learned something new. Just hope I didn't damage the card with the failed overclocks.
Nah, you're fine. But best way to do it is like Zero said and to just gradually up the clocks and run stability tests, and then repeat until it's unstable. Once you get to unstable, back off just a bit then run another stability test.
Old February 21, 2010, 01:14 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

my xfx 5870 will not OC a single mhz. not a single one. Ive tried aftergburner, ATI CCC, and AMD overdrive and I cannot get this card to clock anything higher then stock.
Old February 21, 2010, 04:53 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudd Rucker View Post
my xfx 5870 will not OC a single mhz. not a single one. Ive tried aftergburner, ATI CCC, and AMD overdrive and I cannot get this card to clock anything higher then stock.
Yeah occasionally you come across video cards, CPUs and memory kits which don't budge a MHz over their specs. Heck, I've even come across memory kits which wouldn't even run at stock specs without extra voltage.

Anyway, I'm afraid there's not much you can do for that video card. Technically, XFX is providing you with a product which DOES function as per the published specs...
Main: Intel 2600K @ 4.8GHz | Gigabyte P67A-UD7-B3 | 16GB Corsair DDR3-2000 | 2 x 240GB Corsair Force 3 in RAID1 | 2 x 4TB Hitachi 7K4000 | 3 x 2TB WD Caviar Black | Antec 1200 | Seasonic XP-860 Platinum | 2GB GTX 670 | 2 x 27" Asus VE278Q | Asus Essence ST | Win7 Pro 64-bit