Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 15, 2007, 03:49 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cptn Vortex View Post
Theblackmages, I love your avatar. Zero hour ftw!
hehe thanks, SCUD STORM! lol.

thanks supergrover.So from what im understanding with lapping the tiny gaps are tinyer which makes it better... hmmm....
Old October 15, 2007, 07:20 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theblackmages View Post
hehe thanks, SCUD STORM! lol.

thanks supergrover.So from what im understanding with lapping the tiny gaps are tinyer which makes it better... hmmm....
lol That was bad wasn't it?

By making it flatter you have better contact with in this case the heatsink, TIM expands and contracts when heated and cooled, "curing" filling any imperfections in the surface area, you want the closest contact between the two surfaces and the best finish "smoothness" you can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old October 15, 2007, 07:25 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

No offense, but what you did to that CPU is not considered lapping. If it was lapped properly, you would see your reflection in it. What you did is not going to help temps much if at all and you really need to get a smooth finish on that CPU.
Old October 15, 2007, 07:58 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
No offense, but what you did to that CPU is not considered lapping. If it was lapped properly, you would see your reflection in it. What you did is not going to help temps much if at all and you really need to get a smooth finish on that CPU.
Actually your somewhat incorrect.

While giving it a mirror finish is probably a better thing the main reason for lapping a cpu is to get rid of the inperfections in the surface. A lot of cpus are not perfectly flat from the factory and doing what I did removes that.
Old October 15, 2007, 08:10 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
yup that's lapped , he just didnt polish it which gives the mirror finish.but did you just sand with 1 sand paper or did you start with a lower grit and work yourself up to a higher grit?
Old October 15, 2007, 08:20 PM
Hall Of Fame

Only done with 150 grit paper I know I could do more if I wanted and I may but not for a bit.
Old October 15, 2007, 08:30 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Only done with 150 grit paper I know I could do more if I wanted and I may but not for a bit.
thats what i thought, its probably worse that it was before.... lol.get some other sand paper. go get some 300 , 500, 800, 1000 , 2000 and stuff lol.

or just follow a tutorial next time :P . also lol @ you... hahaha...
Old October 15, 2007, 09:24 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theblackmages View Post
thats what i thought, its probably worse that it was before.... lol.get some other sand paper. go get some 300 , 500, 800, 1000 , 2000 and stuff lol.

or just follow a tutorial next time :P . also lol @ you... hahaha...
I don't need tutorials I know how to do it I just got lazy and wanted to flatten it. I'll worry about the other grits later. It idles around 46' and never hits over 60' under load so *shrug*