Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 6, 2010, 05:15 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default New i7 860 Overclocking

Just got my new i7 860 and quickly got to overclocking.. Was a little sad about the performance of my hyper 212 + but i have gotten it to 3.8ghz with a vcore of 1.3 and a VTT of 1.25. With prime95 blend test i get to around 70c at the highest after a couple of minutes. Will usually hover around 68 at the most... How are these temps? Kinda sad i cant push it any higher without any other cooling...
Old February 6, 2010, 05:20 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Most will tell you to check the block, as it may not be sitting properly on the CPU. I'm not too familiar with air coolers, but the Hyper 212+ is a high end air cooler right? If so, then yeah, those temps look a little bit high. What kind of thermal paste did you use, and what is your ambient temperature?
Old February 6, 2010, 05:23 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

well its not "high end" but it is supposidly a good value.. I got it on sale for 20 dollers from NCIX. I am not sure what my ambient is.. Maybe around 14c? And im using the stock thermal paste. Will probally buy some better soon. Any suggestions on which to get?
Old February 6, 2010, 05:46 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I'm on water and get ~60 degrees on load at 3.8GHz. I'm sure most people on here that are on water as well probably get better temps than me, but for a value HSF, I wouldn't expect more from it, especially at that low ambient temperature, but I may be wrong. As for thermal paste, I'm probably not the best person to ask. Other people on here with much more experience than I do will probably have better suggestions for you.
Old February 6, 2010, 05:51 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightsimnerd View Post
.... And im using the stock thermal paste. Will probably buy some better soon. Any suggestions on which to get?
Not an expert , and I post this also as a question.. for me the type of design of the 212+ will not make a big difference with the choice of thermal paste. Cooler like the 212+ with the space between the tube , are for me the hardness one to paste... But I can tell you they do the job. at 70'c with a 3,8 OC ..it's in the norm . Pay attention to the thumb screw , they will strip if you tight too much..

I find quite more difficult to hit the 4 ghz than a 750 , I have not to much experiment because I was in need of making up an running fast for folding points.
Old February 6, 2010, 06:48 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Your ambient is most likely at around 20C, not 14C. For paste either go with Arctic Cooling MX-2 or Arctic Silver 5. Also check around the case for dust and make sure your case airflow is good. Side, front and bottom intake. Top and back for exhaust.
Old February 6, 2010, 07:27 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default There is a massive thread about this stuff on hre

https://store.hardwarecanucks.com/pr...-Compound.html

There was a masive thread cant seem to find it

EDIT Found it Innovation Cooling 7 Carat Diamond TIM Test results thread *NOW ACCEPTING RESULTS!!*
Old February 6, 2010, 07:56 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Looks like i will buy that one! Since its good to support HWC and they have free shipping.. It looks like it has good results too.
Old February 15, 2010, 01:45 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

or if you're balling go for the new thermal paste... the innovative cooling solutions... IC something... LOL apparently they use some form of diamonds to transfer heat... they are relatively more expensive though... so if yo uwere to go for that stuff, get a better air cooler first =D
Old February 15, 2010, 05:05 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

ambient has everything to do with temps?