Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/overclocking-tweaking-benchmarking/)
-   -   Temperature for voltage regulators/mosfets? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/overclocking-tweaking-benchmarking/28413-temperature-voltage-regulators-mosfets.html)

0o0 January 30, 2010 08:50 PM

Temperature for voltage regulators/mosfets?

Hey guys, I was wondering what the safe operating temperatures for gpu and mobo black block thingies are. I'm referring to quite a few of them, including the gray cube things beside the cpu socket, the black flat thingies (2 metals on one side and 1 on other, and digital versions with many pins sticking out all 4 sides)

For example, on the back of the mobo's pcb under the voltage regs, I get 55*C under load and I'm guessing their actual temperature would be around 60-65, would that be 'safe' for stable 24/7 use? I believe they are the 'digital' version though I may be wrong... they look like flat black chips with lots of metal pins sticking out in all 4 directions.

And while I'm at it, what do you guys think of mx-2 between the mosfets and a heatsink? Would it cause any shorts? The heatsink on my mobo is connected by a single heatpipe and the stock stuff above the mosfets looked like oily nead eraser, if I replace it with a thin layer of mx-2 will it make proper contact? Secured by push pins:whistle: Thanks

Mavvens January 30, 2010 09:57 PM

First have a look at this:

Everything You Need to Know About The Motherboard Voltage Regulator Circuit | Hardware Secrets

Voltage regulator all explained! Will be good for better understanding.

Quote:

the black flat thingies (2 metals on one side and 1 on other
These are the mosfet

Quote:

including the gray cube things beside the cpu socket
These are the Ferrite choke

And you forgot one
The capacitor, the little ''tube'' near your choke.

All of those 3 made your voltage regulator.

Quote:

what do you guys think of mx-2 between the mosfets and a heatsink?
BAD IDEA!!! The mx-2 contain silver witch is conductive!
Went dealing with mosfet the best idea is to use a thermal pad witch is non-conductive (the thermal pad will take the form of the mosfet)

Or use these:
Enzotech MOS-C1
http://www.enzotechnology.com/images/mos-c1_photo2.jpg

Available at your favourite hardware store!
;)

Mavvens January 30, 2010 10:15 PM

Ohh I completely forgot about the max temp.

Well seriously it really depend on the manufacturer, do you research as I know them for my motherboard. But they won't be the same for yours!

But

By putting heatsink of the mosfet, they will run colder and be more efficient. SO if you overclock you will simply get more clean power to your CPU and it may/may not help with VDROOP (voltage drop under load) getting possibly higher overclock.

That it!
;)

0o0 January 31, 2010 07:49 AM

wow thanks for all that info! I was considering those enzotechs, but my heatsink has a heatpipe connecting all 3 parts so I'd have to replace everything if I wanted aftermarket mosfet coolers =\ Do you know of a place to check maximium safe temperatures for the mosfets? I can take a peek at the text on top of the mosfets themselves if needed

Zero82z January 31, 2010 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mavvens (Post 326144)
BAD IDEA!!! The mx-2 contain silver witch is conductive!

MX-2 is not conductive. Neither is AS5, which does contain some silver particles, although AS5 is slightly capacitive.

Using MX-2 will be fine from a safety standpoint, but you would have to make sure that the heatsink would actually make contact with it. The heatsink may rely on the thickness of the existing thermal pads to actually create proper contact, and replacing that with a layer of thermal paste may not work.
Quote:

Originally Posted by 0o0 (Post 326225)
Do you know of a place to check maximium safe temperatures for the mosfets? I can take a peek at the text on top of the mosfets themselves if needed

The MOSFETs should be good up to temperatures of 100C at least. The temperatures you're getting right now are not cause for concern.

Mavvens January 31, 2010 10:09 AM

re

Ohhh made a mistake here...
^^

my bad!
;)

0o0 January 31, 2010 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zero82z (Post 326252)
but you would have to make sure that the heatsink would actually make contact with it. The heatsink may rely on the thickness of the existing thermal pads to actually create proper contact, and replacing that with a layer of thermal paste may not work.

That's exactly what I wanted to know!:clap: I've got a m4a79t deluxe and I kinda doubt if it would make proper contact... would there be any real harm in heating up the HS in a oven and bending it slightly?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zero82z (Post 326252)
The MOSFETs should be good up to temperatures of 100C at least. The temperatures you're getting right now are not cause for concern.

though is it a healthy temperature? I know those solid jap caps can go up to 105*C and the "tmax" of cpu is 100*C, but no one keeps it at those temps, right?:bleh: