Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 22, 2010, 12:59 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Default N330 Atom Processor temperature monitor problem

I have two little head scratchers, i'll post some screenshots when i'm at the little computer itself but here they are.

1. The system runs cooler when it is overclocked to its max chipset voltage of 1.10V and manually set to run at 2.0GHz. The stock settings, default chipset voltage and running with all default/auto settings at 1.6GHz it runs HOTTER then my overclock of 2.0GHz. Anyone know why's this?

2. Three monitor programs, three different sets of voltages
NOTE: This is running the heat sink fanless.

Real Temp
Core 1/2: 36/41C
GPU: 47C on 'idle'
Will not read/indicate cpu usage percentage
Will not read temperatures for Core 3/4

Core Temp
Core 1/2: 74/65C on 'idle'
Reads/indicates cpu usage percentage

FanSpeed
Core 1/2: 47/47C on 'idle'
Core 3/4: 52/52C on 'idle'
GPU: 47C on 'idle'
Only one to read all 4 cores
Reads/indicates cpu usage percentage

So which temperature program should i be using, i think Real temp is a little under because at one point when i had the fan on it and my room was 18C it indicated the lowest recorded temperature was -2C. I also think core temp is a little high since it doesn't seem like its that hot, i mean i've touched the heat sink and it doesn't feel like those temperatures. Is Fanspeed the accurate one out of the three for us?
Old January 22, 2010, 01:07 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

go with real temp is what i would do and i have found that these atom chips run cooler when there voltage is maxed out don't ask me why this is i have no clue just found this on several that i have owned and one's sold to clients. fyi there only dual core with HT so reading temps from cores that are not real is not possible Intel® Atom? Processor 330 - SLG9Y
and just to let you know these chips always run pretty hot anyway but it does not matter look at the max
great little chips. jmo
I had more problems with the intel boards then with any of the cpu them self even after removing the fans ha ha then they run hot. testing to see if they would work this way

EDIT put it under full load and see your temps are. It's calibrated to be most accurate at thermal max
Old January 22, 2010, 01:52 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I dont trust Real Temp all for the fact it can't read the cpu load percentage and when i have a high cfm fan on it it tells me my core temps are negative with an ambient room temp of 20C

Edit: Running Prime 95 as we speak, max heat one (the middle one), the funny thing is, at full load this high CFM fan i am using isn't having the core temps move at all from idle temps, which recorded as following

Real Temp
Core 1/2: -10/6C

Core Temp
Core 1/2: 25?/45C

SpeedFan
Core 1/2: 0/16C
Old January 22, 2010, 02:14 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

that's because it reads the the sensor off of the chip which is only 100% accurate @ thermal trip and your cooling is working good or the sonsor is out. just to note i have also found that with all my atom's anything under 50c is always way off i have gotten negatives too it just means the the temp sensor is out of whack the lower it gets. closer to max temps the more accurate.
jmo but these chips run so good even at high temps i have never really worried about it
and good fans help a lot lol
you could try changing fans or turning it off and run it and see what temps you get. jmo
Old January 22, 2010, 02:16 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

with mine anything under 50c. it could read anything at that point 44 or -4 just to let you know. there must be more atom users here no?
Old January 22, 2010, 03:04 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Results from running Prime95 without the heat sink fan on it
Old January 22, 2010, 03:10 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

ya those real temp look normal to me. so run it with the fan on and your good to go

Last edited by gingerbee; January 22, 2010 at 03:17 PM.
Old January 22, 2010, 03:12 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Which is the accurate temperature though? These temperatures go significantly higher if i have it inside the sega genesis which it'll be going into. Also the current 'fan' i'm using wont fit in the case as it is too thick (aka my thread about thinner/smaller fans).
Old January 22, 2010, 03:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I used the little kaze fan that was list in that thread and it worked great and ya sorry the real temp look fine to me the speed fan seem a little high and it really has to be calibrated to work right where the writer of real temp has always updated the software.
Old January 22, 2010, 03:23 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

and i found that if you can get some good even one good little intake fan it will do wonders and yes these chips can get real hot real fast in tight spaces. the only problem i found with theses little fans is then tend to get loud fast within a few months i had replaced it because it was to loud. this got worse over time they did not start out loud just to let you know