Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 17, 2010, 09:43 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Active team members

So over the past week and a bit, I've finally gotten around to submitting some benchies for our little HWbot team. I was just wondering who else is still actively submitting scores. It seems to me this little subforum hasn't seen a lot of action lately.

Would have loved to win that cascade from Ruffus! But I'll guess if I really want to go that route I'll have to lay out the cash. Was originally thinking of the OCZ Cryo-Z as an affordable, entry-level phase change unit. But I'm fully aware of its mediocrity and am now thinking that if I do decide eventually decide to take the plunge into vapor cooling, I might as well get a proper unit.

Does anybody have any idea how much a unit from Ruffus or any other builders over at XS might set one back? I'm sure there are big price differences between, say, a single-stage unit vs. a 5-stage cascade... I'm just looking for some ballpark figures.

Cheers!

Think you can overclock? Then show us what you got!
Join the Hardware Canucks Overclocking team today!
Old January 17, 2010, 10:01 AM

My System Specs

I currently am getting a two stage cascade built by ruffus. Cost for my unit will be around $1500 or so. The compressors and equipement likely isn't new for that price though. Pulled from older freezers/AC units more than likely. A 2 stage cascade should hold a 200w load at around -100C. Which is good enough for me

A good single stage should be able to be done w/ around $800 or so. Load temps should be around -30C on a good build.

Now as for benching. Once my cascade arrives I plan on doing some more benching. CPU under cascade and GPU under single stage (likely make it into some sort of chiller since evaporators are non-existent for GPU's. I don't think there is any other person here who benches, as you could likely tell how dead the forum is here.
Old January 17, 2010, 10:20 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks for that info! Do you know yet when you will get the unit? I'd love to see some pics (and, of course, some results)!

Old January 17, 2010, 10:44 AM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Things View Post
Thanks for that info! Do you know yet when you will get the unit? I'd love to see some pics (and, of course, some results)!
I've been given an ETA of 2 months or so, as he has a few units before mine to finish up.
Old January 25, 2010, 10:04 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

The average single stage is around $800 and will keep an i7 seen some in -50s even heard of lower from someone on overclock.net definetly go for custom over the ocz, it isnt designed to handle a a high wattage load (Think its rated for 200watts?)
Old February 4, 2010, 10:47 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Code:
Dead Things made 20 submissions, worth 25.2 points, which earned him the title of member of the month January.
Where's my plaque dammit!

Old February 5, 2010, 05:37 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Things View Post
Code:
Dead Things made 20 submissions, worth 25.2 points, which earned him the title of member of the month January.
Where's my plaque dammit!
Congrats? A lil dance?

In slightly more seriousness, I'll get back into the thick of it shortly. Been dealing with a few too many things recently. hwBot, here I come...
Old February 5, 2010, 07:36 AM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
....hwBot, here I come...

you can bet that I will not let you play alone... stay tune... I don't buy all the series of Asus ROG board just to play Farmville ..... Dam it wake up guy I have only one live to live

and no comments. I will buy the board you like if Asus is a problem an even AMD processors , they are more challenge to OC ..
Old February 5, 2010, 08:18 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkOne View Post
I don't buy all the series of Asus ROG board just to play Farmville
OMG, thats freaking hilarious..... and yet I see myself almost doing this with my laptop.

Have an A-1 day!
Old February 5, 2010, 08:35 AM
Banned
F@H

Ya I was playing Farm Town with a crossfire setting, in a WC rigs what a bench test .... but just wait you have not see yet my limits...