Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 27, 2007, 10:19 PM
Top Prospect

Default 500 Mhz more=how much more gaming performance?!

So I have made some calls to my [COLOR=#0D2E4F ! important][COLOR=#0D2E4F ! important]computer [COLOR=#0D2E4F ! important]store[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] about purchasing more ram(Kingston Value 1 Gb DDR 2 667Mhz) and maybe a aftermarket cooler. But is it worth it? With my current setup I have no problem getting my CPU up to 2.7Ghz with very low temps 55-60(While Gaming). I am unable to go any higher because my 1 Gb stick of DDR 2 533Mhz is holding me back. I would like to know how much more performance in games will I see by overclocking my cpu to 3.1-3.2Ghz?? At stock 2.13Ghz ,I get around 8500 points on 3DMark06. At 2.7Ghz and Gpu overclocked I can get 10575 points. So my question is a rewards vs risk to get up to 3.2Ghz. I am asking, if I only use that speed(3.1-3.2Ghz) for very demanding Gaming like Crysis etc, what kind of improvements will I see with the added 500Mhz from my CPU? And how much am I going to be shaving off my CPU's and [COLOR=#0D2E4F ! important][COLOR=#0D2E4F ! important]Rams[/COLOR][/COLOR] lifespan from added volts/Heat and punishment from this type of abuse? I plan on keeping my CPU/GPU till late next year or so. At that time I will be building a new Rig. Will running it at those speeds while gaming really damage my chip? I am sure Kingston Value DDR2 667Mhz Ram should have no problem reaching 800Mhz(Right?!?). 800*4-3.2Ghz. Realisticly how much of a gain will I get:} Thanx again
System spec: Intel i7 2600k, Gigabyte GTX 570 Super Overclock, Kingston DDR3 2X4 GB sticks, ASUS P8P67 PRO, Cooler Master 700 watt PSU, 750GB*2 Sata,SATA III 1TB HDD Acer 24 Widescreen, Antec 300, Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit
Old September 27, 2007, 10:42 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushwickbill View Post
So I have made some calls to my [COLOR=#0D2E4F ! important][COLOR=#0D2E4F ! important]computer [COLOR=#0D2E4F ! important]store[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] about purchasing more ram(Kingston Value 1 Gb DDR 2 667Mhz) and maybe a aftermarket cooler. But is it worth it? With my current setup I have no problem getting my CPU up to 2.7Ghz with very low temps 55-60(While Gaming). I am unable to go any higher because my 1 Gb stick of DDR 2 533Mhz is holding me back. I would like to know how much more performance in games will I see by overclocking my cpu to 3.1-3.2Ghz?? At stock 2.13Ghz ,I get around 8500 points on 3DMark06. At 2.7Ghz and Gpu overclocked I can get 10575 points. So my question is a rewards vs risk to get up to 3.2Ghz. I am asking, if I only use that speed(3.1-3.2Ghz) for very demanding Gaming like Crysis etc, what kind of improvements will I see with the added 500Mhz from my CPU? And how much am I going to be shaving off my CPU's and [COLOR=#0D2E4F ! important][COLOR=#0D2E4F ! important]Rams[/COLOR][/COLOR] lifespan from added volts/Heat and punishment from this type of abuse? I plan on keeping my CPU/GPU till late next year or so. At that time I will be building a new Rig. Will running it at those speeds while gaming really damage my chip? I am sure Kingston Value DDR2 667Mhz Ram should have no problem reaching 800Mhz(Right?!?). 800*4-3.2Ghz. Realisticly how much of a gain will I get:} Thanx again
No offense but learn to properly format and put some punctuation in there.. I can't even understand what you said.
Old September 28, 2007, 12:01 AM
Top Prospect

Default Sorry about that

Don't know what happened there. I made the post on a different site then copy/pasted it here. I guess I should have double checked it all first before hitting post. My general question is. What kind of gaming performance will I see by increasing my CPU speed to 3.2Ghz up from 2.7Ghz? I am wondering if getting a after market cooler and some faster Ram to achieve said goal, is really worth the abuse my Cpu will take in the long run?
System spec: Intel i7 2600k, Gigabyte GTX 570 Super Overclock, Kingston DDR3 2X4 GB sticks, ASUS P8P67 PRO, Cooler Master 700 watt PSU, 750GB*2 Sata,SATA III 1TB HDD Acer 24 Widescreen, Antec 300, Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit
Old September 28, 2007, 01:00 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushwickbill View Post
Don't know what happened there. I made the post on a different site then copy/pasted it here. I guess I should have double checked it all first before hitting post. My general question is. What kind of gaming performance will I see by increasing my CPU speed to 3.2Ghz up from 2.7Ghz? I am wondering if getting a after market cooler and some faster Ram to achieve said goal, is really worth the abuse my Cpu will take in the long run?
You will see quite a bit of performance as long as your system can handle it. Most systems can't take a 500mhz fsb very well as I have my e6600 @ 425 @ 1.4v with a 1:1 mem ratio.
Old September 28, 2007, 10:22 AM
Misoprostol

Personally I notice more of a difference in overall "snappiness" of the system with that kind of speed bump during general usage than I notice a gaming performance boost. I'm more VGA limited I think though.