Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 22, 2009, 12:36 AM
Top Prospect

Default Question regarding stepping

Hello,

I was wondering, before I even really think to hard about this, is it possible to leave stepping on, and over clock your cpu?

I have a p5q3 wifi-deluxe motherboard and a Intel Xeon 3110 processor. I leave my computer on overnight to finish big downloads (good old tv TV shows released for free distribution). I would like it to be as economical as possible during these times. Would overclocking the CPU have an effect on this?

I know it steps from 6x to 9x multiplier, unless you disable the stepping and keep it on 9x all the time. Would I be using a lot more energy, or 'burning out' my cpu by leaving it on overnight?

I have plenty of cooling, that is not the issue.
Old December 22, 2009, 01:51 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I think the word stepping is not correct in this context, but rather you seem to be talking about Speedstep? However....

There is little to no risk of burning out a CPU as long as your CPU overclocking (read: voltage) isn't extreme. I've never seen a CPU die, overclocked or not. Most of us would replace our processor before it died regardless.

My Q6600 OC'd to 3.0ghz (normally 2.4ghz) still has speedstep enabled and when I'm not folding it drops down to 2.0ghz or thereabouts.

I hope that answers your question?
Old December 22, 2009, 02:41 AM
Top Prospect

Yes, speedstep may be the correct word. Alright, so overclocking doesn't really affect the processor when NOT under load, meaning, it wont wear the processor down after extended periods of just being on but not active? Just want to confirm.
Old December 22, 2009, 12:49 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Running your CPU at all, at any speed, will wear your CPU down. The only difference is what the timeline will be regarding how long that will actually take. Even when overclocking, as long as you stay within reasonable voltage limits, you can expect a good ten years out of the CPU at least, which is much more than you'll most likely end up keeping the thing for. So in terms of longevity, overclocking is not a concern as long as you don't go overboard. As far as power consumption, it's good to leave Speedstep on, since it will make your CPU draw less power when it doesn't need it.
Old December 22, 2009, 02:07 PM
Top Prospect

Thanks.