Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/overclocking-tweaking-benchmarking/)
-   -   First time overclocker, yet lost (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/overclocking-tweaking-benchmarking/26778-first-time-overclocker-yet-lost.html)

belinik December 18, 2009 04:16 AM

First time attempt OC, yet lost

Recently the rig has been slightly slow and decided to try and hold til Feb since I am taking a trip soon. Then I remember a reply when I made my first post here asking for help:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Babrbarossa (Post 145310)
but all that gear cries to be overclocked

So here I want to try something I've never tried before... OC... The following is my current rig:

CPU - Core 2 Duo E8400
Memory - G. Skill 8000 8gb (4 stick) @ 5-5-5-15 2.0v
Motherboard - Asus P5Q Pro
GPU - XFX Radeon HD 4870 XXX 775MHZ 1GB
CASE - CM 923 HAF
PSU - Corsair TX 750
Hard drive - 4HDD
CPU Cooling - Xigmatek HDT-S1283

I did some google run on e8400 overclock guide and noticed a good number of owner pushed the 8400 to 4.4 before going into water. But most of them do not really tell how to. And also read the HWC P5Q Pro review by mac saying that it seems to be a good board to overclock.

I don't want to push it that far, My goal is to push it to 3.6 for now since this is a 24/7 rig. I've seen motherboard usually have software that helps you overclock but I am uncertain if they are safe to do so. I remember a cpu clocking speed revolves around FSB and multiplier? But what does voltage do?

Can anyone point me to the right direction? Am I asking for too much for this configuration? Is my current cooling good enough? I do have a H-50 that was originally going towards my sister's i5.... but didn't notice I need to order a mounting kit so now it's sitting in a corner.

Andy December 18, 2009 04:40 AM

I wish I had the time to look up the links for you, but i'm just running out the door. Just do a Google search for overclocking E8400 with Asus P5Q Pro. There are many guides out there with tons of info. In it's simplest terms, as you increase the FSB, you may or may not need to add voltage. Depending on your chip, you might be able to get to 3.6 without adding any voltage, or very little. But, I'm sure you will get much more help later on from the tons of experienced folk on here.

phil3_66666 December 18, 2009 05:16 AM

fsb x multiplier = clock speed
so put your multi at 9 and up your fsb at around 400 for 3.6ghz
you will need to check your ram multi to be sure it dont run too high(start with ram lower possible to find a stable cpu oc and up the ram after)
voltage may need to be up, but try to keep it under 1.4v
check your core temp also

hope that help
phil

sorry if it is not clear, english is not my primary language

SKYMTL December 18, 2009 05:38 AM

Overclocking is all about baby steps. Don't push things too far on your first attempt and you will be fine.

belinik December 19, 2009 02:57 AM

I went into the asus bios and set it to manual, then I put FSB to 400, everything else is auto. I see a good number of thread saying +voltage is not needed, but how would I know it's being overvolt right now?

MarkOne December 19, 2009 03:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by belinik (Post 304515)
I went into the asus bios and set it to manual, then I put FSB to 400, everything else is auto. I see a good number of thread saying +voltage is not needed, but how would I know it's being overvolt right now?

install cpuz it will give you the voltage, asus always put a little more volts that need on auto , to make it stable, but at 3,6 it must be ok if you have a good cooler, until you make more reading I will keep it like this.

BrianHanna December 19, 2009 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phil3_66666 (Post 304075)
fsb x multiplier = clock speed
so put your multi at 9 and up your fsb at around 400 for 3.6ghz
you will need to check your ram multi to be sure it dont run too high(start with ram lower possible to find a stable cpu oc and up the ram after)
voltage may need to be up, but try to keep it under 1.4v
check your core temp also

hope that help
phil

sorry if it is not clear, english is not my primary language

cant change the multiplier on a e8400

i have my voltage set to 1.4 and fsb at 445 for a 4ghz overclock.

been stable at that for a year now and my temps are at around 30c idle all the time.
never seen it go above 55c

MarkOne December 19, 2009 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianHanna (Post 304577)
cant change the multiplier on a e8400.

you must have a very crappy board or you don't know how to do it, because I have no problem to setup my e8400 between x6 an x9

jcmaz December 19, 2009 03:42 PM

He has a P5Q Pro...

MarkOne December 19, 2009 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcmaz (Post 304661)
He has a P5Q Pro...

so it's not the motherboard :thumb: , so it's the famous 18" problem :ph34r: