Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 18, 2009, 12:34 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Default Max Voltage for i7 920 D0?

Hey guys, I'm just wondering what the max "safe" voltage for this chip is. I have mine OC'd to 3.8 Ghz @ 1.175V.

I thought the max was like 1.25V but I see a lot of people on here with the Vcore at like 1.3V and up. Do these people just have a lot of money, or do they OC that far because they only plan on having that rig for a couple years before their next upgrade?

I know "safe" is very ambiguous, but should I be able to go to, say, 1.25V without drastically compromising the life of my CPU?
Old December 18, 2009, 12:55 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Most enthusiasts juice their chips because they know they'll upgrade within a year or two.

If you plan on keeping your chip for awhile, 1.25V should be plenty safe.
Old December 18, 2009, 06:16 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You can safely pump up to about 1.4v into an i7 without worry, assuming your temps arnt going too high. Temps will do far more damage then extra voltage will. Now does that mean its 'safe'? I guess that depends on what you define safe as. Considering some stock i7s come with a reference voltage of 1.25v+, I dont think you need to worry. My c0's default voltage is 1.28v. I'm running it at 1.38v daily. Temps never go over 65c. If you're running Prime95 stable at 1.175v you have a god of a chip and should be jacking that puppy to about 4.5ghz, else you are doing a disservice to us all and need to be punished!
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old December 18, 2009, 06:38 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
If you're running Prime95 stable at 1.175v you have a god of a chip and should be jacking that puppy to about 4.5ghz, else you are doing a disservice to us all and need to be punished!

Roger that, jack 'er up! My DO is at 1.28v @ 4 ghz, Primes at about 60C. wanna trade?
Old December 18, 2009, 06:39 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Filter Summary
take your pick D0 or C0 stepping
Old December 18, 2009, 12:11 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Hahaha thanks for the info guys. Unfortunately, I have to increase to about 1.318V to get a stable 4 Ghz overclock. In addition, my temps skyrocket to 80 degrees, which is kind of weird. I'm on water cooling too. Maybe I got a bad (and non-enthusiast, I suspect) water block, the Swiftech GTZ. Also, I am using the quiet Swiftech MCR 320. I don't think those two things are for performance.. =[

Maybe I just need to loosen RAM timings or something? iono...
Old December 18, 2009, 12:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
You can safely pump up to about 1.4v into an i7 without worry, assuming your temps arnt going too high. Temps will do far more damage then extra voltage will. Now does that mean its 'safe'? I guess that depends on what you define safe as. Considering some stock i7s come with a reference voltage of 1.25v+, I dont think you need to worry. My c0's default voltage is 1.28v. I'm running it at 1.38v daily. Temps never go over 65c. If you're running Prime95 stable at 1.175v you have a god of a chip and should be jacking that puppy to about 4.5ghz, else you are doing a disservice to us all and need to be punished!
My chip is similar to his. 1.16v @ 3.6ghz, but 1.25v for 4.0ghz
Once I get a new cooler I'll aim a bit higher.
Old December 18, 2009, 12:35 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Looks like Intel's official range is

.80V-1.375V
Old December 18, 2009, 12:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkh2 View Post
Hahaha thanks for the info guys. Unfortunately, I have to increase to about 1.318V to get a stable 4 Ghz overclock. In addition, my temps skyrocket to 80 degrees, which is kind of weird. I'm on water cooling too. Maybe I got a bad (and non-enthusiast, I suspect) water block, the Swiftech GTZ. Also, I am using the quiet Swiftech MCR 320. I don't think those two things are for performance.. =[

Maybe I just need to loosen RAM timings or something? iono...
I run a gtz with a swiftech 320 rad and temps can climb fast for me too once i start to get over 1.35vcore it's normal
Old December 18, 2009, 01:01 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayah View Post
Looks like Intel's official range is

.80V-1.375V
Oh wow, I had no idea it was that high. Thanks for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
I run a gtz with a swiftech 320 rad and temps can climb fast for me too once i start to get over 1.35vcore it's normal
Oh alright, so it's not a badly seated block or anything... Would another rad help, or maybe just a better radiator/block combo? I just got a HAF 932 and was debating putting a dual rad on the side panel, or even going for a Magicool 480 rad (4x 120mm fans square rad).