Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 13, 2007, 12:36 PM
Rookie

Default E6600 overclocking on P5B standard

Hi all,

i am a newbie in overclocking and after reading many posts about the e6600 and what can be achieve with such a cpu.... I am still wondering if it is faisable to overclock my cpu to 3ghz..... i don't want to go higher, I don't need it.

Nevertheless, there is no post about the e6600 and the asus p5b standard
especially for the bios setting in the regular asus P5B.

Here are the specs of my rig:

e6600 box
asus p5b standard
2 gig of ram ddr2 pc5300
bfg 8800gts 640mo

So far everything is working fine, I am happy with my rig... i just want to overclock it to 3 Ghz.

Any help will be appreciated.

thank you guys and by the way nice community here
:-)
Old September 13, 2007, 12:52 PM
Fallen Folder
F@H

Welcome to HCF

You may be able to get there with stock intel cooling if your chip doesn't need much more volts than stock.

in bios,advanced,jumperfree set clocking to manual then you can set your fsb yourself. also disable asus hyperpath under chipset setting i think.

As a minimum you need a stability tester like orthos to ensure your rig is stable at each oc you try and asus probe to monitor temps.
You should try to keep temps under 60 ideally running orthos but 70 is possible without errors. Over that is getting too hot and is likely to be very unstable.

you should be able to set fsb to 300 without changing anything else unless your cpu chip is a real dud.

To get to your goal of 334 fsb x9 cpu multi (3.06 ghz), you may need a small increase in cpu volts depending on cpu and to a lesser extent your mobo.

Don't try to oc your memory when finding your cpu oc ... leave it on auto ... memory comes later.

I have to run now, but that should get you started.

Last edited by pscout; September 13, 2007 at 02:40 PM.
Old September 13, 2007, 01:01 PM
Hall Of Fame

I am using the p5n32-e sli board and have my e6600 overclocked to 3.3ghz with a multiplier of 8 and a fsb of 425 @ 1.4v stable.
Old September 13, 2007, 02:46 PM
Fallen Folder
F@H

You may or may not be able to reach your goal running at an 8 multi instead of the stock 9 since that would require a higher oc from your memory.

I expect your 667 memory should be able to get to 700+ stable which is fast enuf with a 9 multi running 1:1. Your mobo can only supply up to 2.1V to the memory.

What memory do you have ... brand/model timings?

Also, you should search/google oc'ing a p5b-d ... the basics are the same but the p5b has fewer settings you can adjust. A read of some of the better ones should help give you a reasonable understanding. P5b-d was one of the favoured 965 mobos for oc'ing so there are lots of threads around on the various fora. And there are a few guides which are easier to read than some of the long forum threads filled with chatter.

I have a p5b and p5b-d both with 6600's but i haven't oc'ed them in 6-8 months. They have been folding ever since built. My p5b has my worst E6600 on it - it is only running at 325x9 ... it will be my next rig to upgrade replacing the e6600 with a Q6600.
The p5b-d is my main rig for work and folds, and is conservatively running at 8x390 and it uses raid 5+0 on the ich8r.

Last edited by pscout; September 13, 2007 at 03:02 PM.
Old September 14, 2007, 08:52 PM
Rookie

Here is what cpu z tells me in spd:

@ 266 mhz:
cas latency: 4.0
ras# to cas#: 4
ras# precharge: 4
tras: 12
trc: 16

@ 333 mhz:
cas latency: 5.0
ras# to cas#: 5
ras# precharge: 5
tras: 15
trc: 20

under the memory tab i have:

frequency: 333.6 mhz
fsb:dram @ 4:5
cas# latency 5.0
ras# to cas#: 5
ras# precharge: 5
tras: 15

i read that i should lock the pcie @ 100 mhz which I did
and pci @ 33mhz which I did
same goes with fsb and ram: ratio should be set at 1:1 which I did

What should I do now?
I am a total newbie I have to admit

Thanks for your help
Old September 14, 2007, 10:01 PM
Fallen Folder
F@H

just keep raising fsb by ~10 till it won't pass orthos anymore or temps get to 70 bumping vc as necessary.

what are your temps at idle and under orthos load at stock?
Old September 14, 2007, 10:13 PM
Rookie

idle temp is 28 degres c on both cpu

orthos 52 degres c after 5 minutes

all the above temp are with stock settings

by the way how far can go my memory? when looking at my previous post? 333.6mhz?
thanks for your help
Old September 15, 2007, 12:14 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cenobite View Post
idle temp is 28 degres c on both cpu

orthos 52 degres c after 5 minutes

all the above temp are with stock settings

by the way how far can go my memory? when looking at my previous post? 333.6mhz?
thanks for your help
Memory can go as high as its clocked plus more depending on memory, but you ideally want your fsb and mem to be running at a 1:1 ratio for optimal performance.
Old September 15, 2007, 06:18 AM
Fallen Folder
F@H

As enaberif said, no one can tell you how fast your memory can go ... you just have to keep raising the fsb, and the memory speed will increase as you do this.

When you can't run an orthos test without errors, then either your cpu or your memory normally is the source of errors.

Since you have generic memory we can't really hazard a guess as to how fast it will go. With brand name memory, someone here may have experience having tried to oc it and so we could offer a guess.

Every cpu and stick of memory will perform differently, so any oc # 's we supplied could only be used as a guide since each component will behave a bit differently from another one by the same manufacturer.

Generic memory is a bit of a crap shoot, and you may not get much oc or you might get a great oc. The only way to know for sure is to test it.

As with oc'ing the cpu, increasing voltages will usually let you increase the memory speed. Depending on the chips that are on the memory pcb, and on the pcb design itself to a lesser degree, you will find that at some voltage levels, the memory will not respond to more volts by going faster.
For example, i have some ocz 800 memory that gets unstable if i give it more that 2.1-2.2 volts, while other memory (eg ballistix or some older memory with micron 'fatbody' D9 chips like 2.4 + Volts) just goes faster right up to 2.3 V or even more.

When oc'ing, the goal is to find the highest stable oc at the lowest possible voltage settings and the lowest possible temps. So we start with the cpu, leaving memory as slow as possible with loose timings so that we know when we hit the cpu limit.
Then we move on to find the memory limits. With c2d's, and intel chipsets, memory speed is usually more important than memory timings, and so if you are inclined, you can try to find the best memory timings after you find the best memory speed.
You will learn the art of oc'ing as your get some experience and gain understanding of how the different components and settings interact with each other.

The only way to find out how your particular cpu, memory and mobo will oc is to test it in a methodical way, which I have tried to lay out here and previous posts/pm's.

The temps you reported above look fine so you should just keep raising the fsb and retesting.
If you raise fsb in small increments like 10 at a time, you will probably find that you get an error in an orthos test, rather than not being able to boot into windows. Don't worry if windows won't boot, just raise the cpu V a little in bios and it should boot after that.

Have fun and we are here to help you along the way.

Last edited by pscout; September 15, 2007 at 06:35 AM.
Old September 15, 2007, 07:18 AM
Rookie

nice comments guys.

Thank you.
I will try and keep you posted.