Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 15, 2007, 07:43 AM
Fallen Folder
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cenobite View Post
nice comments guys.

Thank you.
I will try and keep you posted.
One thing i always do when oc'ing a rig is to make a sheet up for notes on each test. List all the major components, including cooling etc and date it so you can refer back to it later and update it when you change components. I keep at least 1 sheet like this for every rig i own and i keep them around even after i upgrade.

I use columns like fsb, V cpu, Vmch , vfsb, vddr, mem speed, ratio, timings orthos times passed/which test failed, temps idle, temps under orthos load.
Also,, since we oc for performance, quick tests like sandra or everest bandwidth, superpi, etc are helpfull to see if you are actually geting a performance increase from a settings change.
Use 1 or 2 rows/lines per test.
I use other tests for my folding rigs so i add columns for folding times, power draw, temps folding etc. If i were oc'ing a gpu i would have its V and temp settings, folding times, 3dmark tests etc.

If you have a favorite application/game that you can time reliably, then add it to your testing mix although i don't usually take the time do do all these performance tests until i get to my max cpu oc since they can be very time consuming.

Also make notes on your sheet for failure symptoms (no post, no boot etc) and any bios setting changes you made for each test. I just note changes in each row from the test on the row above so i can easily see what changed. Usually it is best to just change 1 setting at a time so you can see the effect.

It makes it a lot easier to figure out patterns, and why one test failed and another didn't etc.

Last edited by pscout; September 15, 2007 at 07:48 AM.
Old September 15, 2007, 09:18 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscout View Post
One thing i always do when oc'ing a rig is to make a sheet up for notes on each test. List all the major components, including cooling etc and date it so you can refer back to it later and update it when you change components. I keep at least 1 sheet like this for every rig i own and i keep them around even after i upgrade.

I use columns like fsb, V cpu, Vmch , vfsb, vddr, mem speed, ratio, timings orthos times passed/which test failed, temps idle, temps under orthos load.
Also,, since we oc for performance, quick tests like sandra or everest bandwidth, superpi, etc are helpfull to see if you are actually geting a performance increase from a settings change.
Use 1 or 2 rows/lines per test.
I use other tests for my folding rigs so i add columns for folding times, power draw, temps folding etc. If i were oc'ing a gpu i would have its V and temp settings, folding times, 3dmark tests etc.

If you have a favorite application/game that you can time reliably, then add it to your testing mix although i don't usually take the time do do all these performance tests until i get to my max cpu oc since they can be very time consuming.

Also make notes on your sheet for failure symptoms (no post, no boot etc) and any bios setting changes you made for each test. I just note changes in each row from the test on the row above so i can easily see what changed. Usually it is best to just change 1 setting at a time so you can see the effect.

It makes it a lot easier to figure out patterns, and why one test failed and another didn't etc.
Unfortunately I've discovered SiSoft doesn't like overclocked machines and I can't run it as it'll hang when doing anything
Old September 15, 2007, 09:27 AM
Fallen Folder
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Unfortunately I've discovered SiSoft doesn't like overclocked machines and I can't run it as it'll hang when doing anything
I don't think i am running the latest sandra 2007 free version - mine is 2007.7.8.10.105 It works ok for me on all my mostly gigabyte 965/p35 rigs and a p5k.
Old September 15, 2007, 09:29 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscout View Post
I don't think i am running the latest sandra 2007 free version - mine is 2007.7.8.10.105 It works ok for me on all my mostly gigabyte 965/p35 rigs and a p5k.
I had the latest from their website and anytime I tried to do anything it would just hang. I thought this might be a isolated incident but a guy I know with the same chipset had the same problem; he has a Striker I have the p5n32-e
Old September 15, 2007, 12:56 PM
Rookie

ok running a 3Ghz now.

Orthos is stable so far
temps are: 56c on each cpu
cpu volt: 1.35
mem volt: 1.85

gonna run some games to check if it is stable as well.

thank you guys for your help
Old September 15, 2007, 12:58 PM
Fallen Folder
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cenobite View Post
ok running a 3Ghz now.

Orthos is stable so far
temps are: 56c on each cpu
cpu volt: 1.35
mem volt: 1.85

gonna run some games to check if it is stable as well.

thank you guys for your help
That is looking good

Glad to help

C2D's are usually easy to oc 25%.

Last edited by pscout; September 15, 2007 at 01:01 PM.
Old September 15, 2007, 06:33 PM
Hall Of Fame

CPU Speed
CPU Clock 3360.0 MHz (original: 2400 MHz, overclock: 40%)
CPU Multiplier 8.0x
CPU FSB 420.0 MHz (original: 266 MHz, overclock: 58%)
Memory Bus 420.0 MHz
DRAM:FSB Ratio 1:1
Memory Clock 837 MHz (original: 750 MHz, overclock: 12%)