Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 30, 2009, 03:16 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default Help ME!!!

Hello peoples

Well I have built my first intel desktop and im quite pleased with it at stock, but of course im a speed junky so I want to OC the snot out of this chip. I am looking for the basics so i can get the feel of what im doing, as i have zero clue to what im doing. My system is the one in my sig minus the noctura as im waiting for that to arrive in the mail. So im runnign stock cooling.
Old October 30, 2009, 04:53 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Should have stuck with AMD! haha j/k

How's the performance compared to the 955?
Old October 30, 2009, 05:51 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Google is your friend. Search "overclocking i5 750" and get flooded in guides, pick one from a reputable site and read

If you really need the pure basics, your speed of the system is made by the clock generator, and for your rig it's 133mhz. There's a cpu multiplier, so the cpu can run at a multiple of the system speed. Intel has locked the multiplier from changing, so the way to overclock is to increase the system speed (aka bclk/fsb etc...). The only problem with that is that all the other speeds go up as well because they are also based on the bclk, such as memory, northbridge, qpi... as you can tell from my nooby-ness, I don't own a nehalem but the general idea is there, you'll have to lower the multipliers of everything else to keep them at reasonable speeds... hope you're not confused yet
Old October 30, 2009, 08:15 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I know to OC AMD chips like a champ, but this Intel is a whole new ball game to me. I have seen a few guides, but i was hoping to get a quick and dirty write up or how to set things like qpi and what not.

@killswitch, so far in game tests this setup is thoroughly spanking my 955 @ 3.6ghz . RE5 is getting my 120fps average @1900 x1200 cranked up compared to the 90 i was getting before. Quite pleased with it, going test out my AI walking software to see it shine.
Old October 30, 2009, 08:18 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yes, I would recommend reading up on the body of information that is out there and then post any specific questions you might have afterward.
Old October 31, 2009, 11:58 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Got it all figured out. Works like a champ, and one of the easiest overclocking experiances ive ever had. Stock cooler is keeping it @ 45 or so idle and about 55 load. 3.33ghz /ddr3 1666mhz. Cant wait till mon for my noctua to come in so i can crank it up to 4 - 4.2ghz .What is the max wattage the VRM will take around the socket? Should i consider a better cooling solution then stock?
Old October 31, 2009, 01:07 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Stock VRM cooling should be enough for the voltages you would supply to a CPU under air cooling. Voltage-wise, as long as your VRM temp at max load is less than 85C and your CPU temp is also less than 85C at load when overclocked you should be fine.
Old November 2, 2009, 02:30 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Holy sweet jesus this machine runs rock stable 4.2ghz ddr3 1600mhz. My noctua is keeping it at a nice 38 idle 58 - 63 under load. I have to say ive never been quite as happy with a machine as this one.To bad the P4 series had soured me on intel for so long.
Old November 22, 2009, 12:10 PM
Top Prospect

I still think he should go back to amd. lol