Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 12, 2009, 09:47 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

if it froze then i don't think it's stable. I really like to do all my testing while i am around the machine so i can see what's happening
Old October 12, 2009, 10:04 AM
Allstar
F@H

it was freezing up alot faster (within 2 hours) when i had the fsb at 1.4v, this has been my first attempt with a 1.3v fsb so it i'll call it semi-successful, lol. going to lower vcore to 1.3625v and try again.
my original post has the wrong vcore posted, it was actually at 1.36875v

Old October 12, 2009, 10:11 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT! View Post
it made it past 8 hours, it didn't show any errors in prime, but when i checked it this morning at 8am the clock said 4:03 and it was froze. so it just passed the 8h mark, going to try again with a little lower vcore.
A little lower vcore you said? You might have to up it a bit if it froze up on you... Good luck... that is one nice overclock!
Old October 12, 2009, 10:15 AM
Allstar
F@H

i wasn't sure if i should go lower or higher, just noticed it took 6h longer to freeze by lowering fsb, so i thought i'd try lowering vcore too. i was waiting to see if someone would tell me to go up instead, going to try that, thanks Prof. :)

Old October 12, 2009, 03:20 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Yeah I'd bump up vCore for sure....I too have had a P95 Crash at around 8 hrs....sucks...also (if you leave it running overnight), ensure to disable any "auto scans" or "auto windows updates" etc...I remember now that I didn't do this and my rig auto downloaded a windows update and re-booted....

Old October 12, 2009, 03:46 PM
Allstar
F@H

i raised it too 1.38125v and it went for 4.5h (12:30 to 5) and froze again, i just raised it again to 1.4v, gonna start it at 6pm.
i just turned off windows defender and updates, forgot about those, thanks. ;)

Old October 12, 2009, 04:17 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT! View Post
i wasn't sure if i should go lower or higher, just noticed it took 6h longer to freeze by lowering fsb, so i thought i'd try lowering vcore too. i was waiting to see if someone would tell me to go up instead, going to try that, thanks Prof. :)
It's hard to judge stability by how long the program's been going for. Sure, if it crashes within the first few minutes, that usually means you've got some changes to make, but when it comes to stress testers like P95 or OCCT, you can't really say that crashing after 8 hours is any better than crashing after only 6. There's a certain randomness/unpredictability to their 'testing', which is the reason they need to be run for so long to be meaningful.
Old October 12, 2009, 04:27 PM
Allstar
F@H

i've run occt and never had it crash with my e8400, but with the same settings it froze with prime95, i havn't even tried occt on this q9550, if i cant get past 8h without freezing this time i might try occt and see if also makes it freeze. i have yet to see any error in prime95, it always just freezes up, lol.