Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 22, 2007, 03:27 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Your connection only matters when you are sending or receiving a workunit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old January 24, 2007, 03:13 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well to hell with it- I've now set my cpu to run full-time at 3.4 with a voltage of 1.45 - It hasn't affected my temperatures at all so what the hey-- I have been searching around the web trying to find some straight-talk on C2D temps, but it seems that everyone around the web has a different story in terms of which temperature monitor to use, and what is a safe range of temperature-- It's a little disheartening, but I suppose that over time as people at the high end of the range start to burn out the odd chip, people will be able to settle more on what's going to fry, and what won't.

I'm now running at 43 idle, and 56 loaded using TAT and coretemp. Speedfan says that my max temp is 62 though, but for now I'm not worrying about it- I realize that it reads from a different locus.
Old February 12, 2007, 08:19 PM

My System Specs

With my C2Ds i get to 75C core temp all the time :)
Old February 13, 2007, 04:47 AM
Allstar

Default N00b Question

What is TAT?
Silverstone Strider 1kw modular
4870x2
Ocz Vendetta 2
Top deck Tech Station
Samsung dvd
Old February 13, 2007, 05:21 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Use TAT (Thermal Analysis Tool from Intel) as it gives the most reliable temps. While I say 56C is a touch high, it really is well within the range. I try to keep my load temps below 40C, but I also run water. @ lowfat, I would never run my CPU @ 75C loaded, that is just too hot and I would never recommend anyone run over the mid 60C range for any length of time. If that temo bothers you, get a water loop, it will easily tame it. I run my CPU @ 3.4GHz @ 1.36V and get a load temp of 40-42C.
Old February 13, 2007, 05:26 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

TAT-- Intel's Thermal Analysis Tool- it also has a stress test that seems to be able to stress out the chip far beyond what orthos et. al. does.

Nowadays (steep learning curve) I'm more concerned about frying my 680i motherboard than my C2D, even though I probably have no control over that- The processor is the cheapest part of the whole setup, other than the psu, and I'm learning (from people like you, lowfat) that they seem to be able to hack the heat ok.
Old February 13, 2007, 07:05 AM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
Use TAT (Thermal Analysis Tool from Intel) as it gives the most reliable temps. While I say 56C is a touch high, it really is well within the range. I try to keep my load temps below 40C, but I also run water. @ lowfat, I would never run my CPU @ 75C loaded, that is just too hot and I would never recommend anyone run over the mid 60C range for any length of time. If that temo bothers you, get a water loop, it will easily tame it. I run my CPU @ 3.4GHz @ 1.36V and get a load temp of 40-42C.
Remember the readings are core readings, and 75C is still well within the CPUs thermal limits.
Old February 13, 2007, 07:20 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
I run my CPU @ 3.4GHz @ 1.36V and get a load temp of 40-42C.
b1lk1- Your voltage is nice and low for 3.4; does added voltage allow you to go higher than that, or have you hit a ceiling at 3.4? (I'm not sure how high you can safely go with a 6300, though)

Last edited by Babrbarossa; February 13, 2007 at 07:24 AM.
Old February 14, 2007, 05:10 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
Remember the readings are core readings, and 75C is still well within the CPUs thermal limits.
I hear you, and I don't doubt you, I just personally would not run my CPU at those levels as more heat almost always means more instability. This is definitely my opinion. Besides, I run water cooling and if my temps ever got over 50C I'd have a stroke! LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babrbarossa View Post
b1lk1- Your voltage is nice and low for 3.4; does added voltage allow you to go higher than that, or have you hit a ceiling at 3.4? (I'm not sure how high you can safely go with a 6300, though)
That has been my limit for stability testing. I have had it over 3.5GHz for benchmarking, but 3.4GHz is the highest I could get it stable. I got lucky with my CPU. If anything, the motherboard is usually the limiting factor because of the high FSB. I will push for a 100% OC one of these days, not for stability, just to see if I can do it.
Old March 6, 2007, 06:09 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The strangest thing- For some reason, after idling consistently at 37-41 degrees, today my computer is suddenly idling at 48-51 degrees- -I can't figure it out- no extra running processes, everything is dust-free, and all the fans are working, heatsink is still firmly mounted, and ambient temperature is cooler today that it has been for the last few- anyone have any ideas?

I just backed my clock from 3.4 back down to 3.2 and my voltage from 1.43 down to 1.35 and it helped, of course, but my temps are still higher than they have been at 3.4

Last edited by Babrbarossa; March 6, 2007 at 06:28 AM.